cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will a policy based backup job automatically eject tapes

bjorn_b
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Will a policy based backup job automatically eject a tape? 

I have been working with a single tape device and even though "Eject tape after backup" is not selected in the backup template, the job will eject it anyway.

When I create a backup job without use of policy, the "eject" option is not selected. I have recreated the policy AND the template (with different names)

/bjorn

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can right-click on the job that is created from the policy and select Edit next run.  See whether that option is checked.  If it is, uncheck it and see whether the tape is still ejected.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Is there any kind of alert generated ?

Is there any other job configured to run on the same tape ? if there is one do the job have the same media set assigned ? and does have the correct option selected to overwrite or append to the tape ?

If the configuration is all fine I beleive it would be issue with the database . You can try the following

Make a copy of the Data and the catalog folder

Use Beutility to reload the database from base --Configure a new policy and see if still gives you the same issue . If it still does not work you simply replace the data and the catalog folder to get all your configuration back. (make sure stop the Be services before copying the data and the catalog folder)

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH129084

bjorn_b
Level 6
I might have been a bit unclear in my description of the "error", but even though I uncheck the "eject tape after backup"-option, the job still says that this option is selected (in the job summary page that shows up when you enable a the selection list for a policy based job) My question is simply if this is a default behaviour :) Bjorn

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No. This is not the default behaviour.  After you uncheck the option, did you save the job?  If you did and it is still checked, then delete and re-create the job.

bjorn_b
Level 6

Been there and done that. 

I have actualle seen this in two different installations.