cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Server 2008 Tape backup

jg449
Not applicable

I don't want a discussion on the validity of using tapes.  I'm aware of the arguments and they're irrelevant to this thread.

At work we received a brand new tape autoloader to be the backup destination for our new server running Windows Server 2008.  It shipped with Symantec backup exec 2010 server edition included and the box is labeled "Tape Backup Software".

From what I have discovered since trying to use this product is that this is a feature only available when installed on Windows Server 2003 and earlier.  This is extremely frustrating.

I wanted to ask if I have any options or hope in using this software to communicate with our new tape drive?  If not are there any products that will?

Thank you and I appreciate any help with this.

2 REPLIES 2

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

BE 2010 can be installed on ws 2008 and below is the link for the HCL which shows all the tape library which are compatible with it.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH137050&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1289378897471

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Hardware vendors usually bundle the Backup Exec Quickstart edition.

The Quickstart edition of Backup Exec 2010  is compatible with 2003 (x32 and x64) and 2008 (x32, x64 and R2) it is just an edition with only basic functionality enabled - in fact it actually is a full edition with the serial number in use disabling the extra functionality - which makes it easy  to upgrade if you decide you need the abilities of the full edition.

So did it actually install and did you receive some form of serial number with the product from the hardware vendor (note: please don't enter the serial nuimber on this forum)

Note: usually the Quickstart Edition is supported by the hardware vendor themselves and the hardware vendor comes to Symantec if they identify a problem in the product.