cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup BackupExec Database

Paul_Rosenberg
Level 3
Hi all,

I have a central administration server that is right now controlling 4 media servers. Each server has about 6 scheduled tasks. totaling 24 schedules, and backup sets.

I would hate to have to rebuild that in case anything ever happend to the media server.

How would you reccomend we backup the veritas backupexec database?

Thanks!

Paul
6 REPLIES 6

Milouse
Level 4
Employee Accredited
Hi Paul,

I would think about two possible ways to achieve this:

- Flat file backup
Stop all BEWS services (including MSSQL$BKUPEXEC) and backup the \Backup Exec\NT\data folder using a MMS or the CAS server

- SQL Agent
If you have the BEWS SQL agent, you can backup the BEDB databases using the database backup ability of the agent, while they're in use.

Hope this helps :)

Sam

Paul_Rosenberg
Level 3
What about the backup utility included within the application. That says it will backup the DB.. is that a viable option?

Sam_Gooble
Level 4
Though SQL backup of the MSDE database is a good option, i think the veritas recommended option is to use its database maintanence option. backup exec manual (PDF document), clearly explains how to create database maintanence and recover

See page 475 for configuring database maintanence
Page 775 for Recover a media server database

However, its always good to test database and recovery once in 6 months, just to ensure that everything works fine.

hope this helps.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

To add to Sam's answer, the Backup Exec database maintenance is automatically done daily at 4am by default. If you want you can change the timings as per your convenience.
Please read the Admin Manual as suggested by Sam.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Paul_Rosenberg
Level 3
yes.. that did it! thanks!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
And you can (and should) backup the BEDB.BAK file using a flatfile backup