cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup a single exchange 2003 mailbox

Marcopolo
Level 6

We perform full granular backups at the moment which works fine.

What I want to do is backup a single mailbox, is this possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marcopolo
Level 6

I'd agree if the job was setup to do something prior to the job running or there was an error, but there isn't and it just queues. Obviously it can't mount the folder but it sits there regardless so you only see the error on cancel.

It's sorted now, I created a new folder to backup to and it's now running. I guess the failed to mount was a clue, cryptic as it is.

Now to set the Exchange options for the job so I can ensure restoration of items if required.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes it is possible for Exchange 2003.

Go to TOOLS>>OPTIONS>>Microsoft Exchange and select the option "Enable Legacy Mailbox support (Exchange 2003)"

Then restart the Backup Exec services.

Open Backup job properties and in the selection expand the Exchange server,

You will be able to see another node Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes expanding which you willbe able to see and select individual mailboxes.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Thanks,

-Sush...

Marcopolo
Level 6

Thanks Sush,

Do you know whether there is an impact if we have legacy enabed along with GRT in the options, since it refers to not being recommended.

Or is it simply that we should make sure one or the other is used for a unique job?

Thanks,

Mark

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...it will back up every single item in the Information Store instead of snapshotting it if you backed it up using GRT. This means your backup will take longer.

I'd recommend using a separate selection list and job for this as you mentioned...

Marcopolo
Level 6

Our setup is currently configured to backup using GRT, I was advised because it was to tape it had to be set that way. I think Symantec support suggested that back in 2010

Craig, if I tick the additional option/s for 'legacy', along with GRT (already ticked), I'm guessing this will have no impact on the existing job that is setup for the exchange? - correct

Then just setup another new job to backup the mailbox In question, right?

I can re-visit the current exchange information store/brick level (granular) later if deemed appropriate.

Colin_Weaver

If you backup  all your mailboxes mailboxes that way and backup the information store (with or without GRT then most of the data you back up will be backed up twice - using storage space and taking time.

Additionally if you select all the mailboxes using the legacy method (which is often called "Brick Level") you will realize that that type of backup can be really, really slow.

This is why it is not recommended

Marcopolo
Level 6

Ok, I've just checked our full daily backup job.

Exchange settings is set to Full and GRT

Selection is set to Domains > our domain > our ExcSvr > IS ticked > mailbox and public folders ticked

I cannot see any seperate IS and mailbox, only what I've mentioned above for our current selection. So I guess it is configured correctly as is for full granular backup.

My main objective here is to setup a new job to backup a single mailbox, which I understand the main option as suggested in Sush's post advises. I was just questioning whether ticking the box in the options has an impact on already setup backup jobs.

Sush---
Level 6

I do not think there will be any kind of impact on the existing job. It will work as normal at it is now. Just ensue that the time for new job that you are going to create do not clash with the current job. Let them run at completely different timings.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Marcopolo
Level 6

Ok, I've setup a new job to backup a single mailbox to disk and the job just queues. I've changed the exchange job properties and nothing seems to work.

CraigV

...right-click your job and choose the option Respond to Alert. See what it is telling you there...If you're backing up to tape, make sure there are tape drives available, and if there are, trying backing up to disk. That will eliminate whether or not BE or the hardware is at fault.

Marcopolo
Level 6

Hang on, how can I respond to Alerts if the job is simply going to queued, and stays at that state until I cancel the job.

Also, as mentioned, I said it was to Disk.

Also, looking after I cancel it refers to

- Error - Mount failed.
Operation aborted

CraigV

...because chances are there could be an alert. If you right-click the job, it will either allow you to respond to an alert, or not give you that option.

Marcopolo
Level 6

I'd agree if the job was setup to do something prior to the job running or there was an error, but there isn't and it just queues. Obviously it can't mount the folder but it sits there regardless so you only see the error on cancel.

It's sorted now, I created a new folder to backup to and it's now running. I guess the failed to mount was a clue, cryptic as it is.

Now to set the Exchange options for the job so I can ensure restoration of items if required.