cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup exec 2010 remote agents?

Mat_Ashmore
Level 4

hi, having a few problems pushing out remote agents so thought I would do it the manual way.

I have refered to the online guide & it literally says, map a drive to the agents path on the media server, then run either setupaa or setupaofo.

On one that I ran setupaofo it installed & can be browed from the backup exec media server but the nice little orange circle against the server name in the selection list was missing.  After looking around on the remote server I found 'Symantec Backup Exec Remote Agent Utility', went into that & configured correctly the publishing tab so the media server name was in there.  Now the orange circle appears against the server name in the selection list.

After looking around I can't find anything to explain what this orange circle actually indicated?

In the confusion on how to install the agent I ended up running the setup file within the RAWS32 folder & have also ended up with Backup Exec VSS Provider installed on this one server?  Do I need to take it off?

Am I right in saying to manually install an agent for 2010 its literally just setupaa or setupaofo then configure the agent through the utility.

Whats the setup file for in the RAWS32 folder?

Confused.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
Not sure what you ran but the latest version of Backup Exec has a VSS provider for quiescing VMware ESX Virtual Machines that replaces VMware's own provider - it coudl have been that.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Mat_Ashmore
Level 4
Also, how do you check that the AOFO is installed after installing the AOFO agent for 2010?  the symantec support article http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/258982.htm says to check for the system driver vsp.sys in Windows 2003 but I can't seem to find it?

Cheers, Mat

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Mat,

THose are the only 2 *.cmd files you need to run. You don't have to bother with the setup file.
You can also check that the application has installed by checking in your Program Files under the Start Menu...there will be an entry under Symantec for the RAWS agent.
Open that up, and make sure it is publishing to your media server. If it isn't, you can manually edit these settings to include the name/IP of the media server.

laters!

Colin_Weaver

VSP.sys is no longer used for AOFO (as VSS provides the functionality) hence you won't find it installed any longer (unles syou have Windows 2000)  Not sure the best method to check now - other than run aAN AOFO enabled backup job against the server anyway.

Mat_Ashmore
Level 4
excellent thanks for the fast responses.

do you know what the orange circle represents.

also that setup that I ran by mistake added Backup Exec VSS Provider which I removed from add/remove programs, do you know what the deal was with that?

By reading up it looks like the cmd's call setup.exe & run different swtiches so I am a little confused as to why just running the setup.exe installed something a little different?

nothings not working I just wanted to get a better understanding of what I did etc.

cheers in advance, mat

Colin_Weaver
Not sure what you ran but the latest version of Backup Exec has a VSS provider for quiescing VMware ESX Virtual Machines that replaces VMware's own provider - it coudl have been that.

Mat_Ashmore
Level 4
cool - what about the orange circle thing?

Mat_Ashmore
Level 4
found it!!!  It means, resource on which the remote agent is publishing information to the media server :)

really good PDF found aswell called backup exec 2010 icons (link below)

http://entsupport.symantec.com/umi/V-269-12