cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup exec job engine keeps dieing

Chris_Goldsmith
Level 3
backup exec 10.d with current service pack .. backs up windows 2003, exchange 2003 and netware 6 cluster with no problems. when I try to run a backup job that covers approx 50+ Novell 5.x servers when the job tries to start the backup exec job engine service fails . a test run completes. this backup job is one of my most critical to get running the novell servers re a mix of netware 5.0 and 5.1 and mix of support pack levels. i wish I could get them all up to current sp but disk space, and time given by management do not allow since we are retiring them this summer hence the need to get data backed up.

chris goldsmith
5 REPLIES 5

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Chris,

We would be moving this thread to the Backup Exec for Netware pool .

==================

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

criley
Employee Accredited
Have you always had this problem? If not, what changes were made that could have caused this?

What version of the remote agent for NetWare are you using? Check in sys:\bkupexec\version.doc for details. And is name resolution working between your windows media server and your remote NetWare servers? If not, you will need to update DNS or your hosts files.

Chris_Goldsmith
Level 3
but this is not backup exec for netware backup exec is running on windows 2003

Chris_Goldsmith
Level 3
this is a new install of backup exec so yes problem has always existed and yes I have correct name resolution from the backup exec server to the netware servers they can ping by name and be pinged by name. remote agent version is the version that comes with backup exec 10d .

Chris_Goldsmith
Level 3
problem appears to be solved .. solution was that by chance the very first server in the selection list had the duplex and speed settings for the nic hard set to full duplex. all of my other servers are set to auto. changing the system in question to auto allowed smooth communication with that box. since it was dieing at the start i figured it was BE issue. Was not just misconfigured serer at top of list. first intial test backup are running now will be able to run the full test this weekend and will update here