cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup speed degradation

Cletus9000
Level 4

I'm looking for some thoughts on where to begin looking for a problem we encountered last night.

We're running backups to a Seagate 8TB USB drive using a USB3.0 port. Typically our nightly incrementals are between 400 and 700MB/min and the full backups end up around 2000-2500MB/min.

Last night we now see a speed of 130MB/min.

We had some trouble with the USB drives and Windows not releasing the driver, so a reboot was required. (we always eject the USB media rather than just unplugging it). And we also just added a new disk to the RAID array, but the full that ran after that upgrade was fine.

Any thoughts about what to test or look for?

I'm thinking i'll just try a reboot and re-test. It seems really random.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cletus9000
Level 4

we've exhausted tons of combinations and variables over the past number of days (weeks??) and i think we're coming to the conclusion that the physical USB port on the device is flaky.

performance is consistently inconsistent.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Is the hard drive listed on your version of BE's HCL? Have you tried to run b2dtest.exe to see if the HDD is actually supported as a B2D target?​

You should also make sure that any AV installed has excluded the B2D folder from active file scans, and check for fragmentation of the HDD.

Thanks!

Cletus9000
Level 4

all good suggestions, and no, i haven't check the HCL, but we've been using these drives for a few months with no problem, and this specific drive once 2 weeks ago without issue. I also haven't check the AV, but again, the backups have been fine for months and we haven't changed anything. :\

It's like an "out-of-the-blue" drop in speed. That's why i think i'll just reboot and test. Seems like maybe just a fluke...??

CraigV

Wouldn't be the first time a drop in speed has happened that a reboot has fixed (it always does!), but check for fragmentation too...

Cletus9000
Level 4

update on this - the backup over the weekend was super slow again (about 160MB/min).

i just canceled the job, and rebooted the server. came back in and started teh job again. now i'm getting 1.00MB/min.  any thoughts??

CraigV

...is there any sort of maintenance happening over a weekend? Be it AV scans, updates, maintenance on other applications or storage etc?

Cletus9000
Level 4

we've exhausted tons of combinations and variables over the past number of days (weeks??) and i think we're coming to the conclusion that the physical USB port on the device is flaky.

performance is consistently inconsistent.