cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup to remote server schedule

P__Witteman
Level 3

Hi,

I'm trying to make a backup schedule to a remote server over the internet. I figured out if I make 1 full backup (takes a long time!) and from there only incrementals and only keep (for example) the last 7 versions of the files in the backup, there would not be to much traffic over the internet line and I will be pretty save. I did not invent this schedule myself, I copied it from commercial online backup. But how can I make this possible with Backup Exec v9.1?

Or Maybe ther is another way?

Who has some ideas

Pieter

5 REPLIES 5

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

In the Properties pane, under Frequency, click Schedule. Select Run according to schedule. Edit calender based schedule accordingly.

can you make your setup some more clear?

Your media server and backup device are at one site and your remote server is at some other location. Am i correct? If so, what about the communication between media and remote servers?

Regards....

P__Witteman
Level 3

The setup is:
location A > one SBS server with Backup Exec and data
location B > a server with BE client and a lot of empty disk space
Location A and B are connected with vpn
I want to make D2D backup over the internet (not to fast adsl)
What is a smart way to do this

I was thinking thsi is a smart way to do this:
My question is how I can make a schedule that keeps only 7 versions of a file in the backup. Can BE see how many backupped versions there are of a file, and can BE delete the oldest one if there are more then 7 versions.

Regards...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Pieter,

Not possible using Backup Exec I am afraid. It won't back up that remote server locally onto itself.

By design, BE uses the RAWS agent to communicate with the remote server, and send data FROM the remote server to the media server.

BE 9.1 is really old now with features that are currently available in something like BE 2010 R3. Using the latest version of BE 2010, you'd possibly be able to look at deduplicated backups, and specifically client-side dedupe. It would send unique data across your WAN.

Otherwise you need to look into Incremental/Differential backups and send your data across your VPN link anyway. Failing that, buy a license for Backup Exec and use the local disk on Server B to back up too locally...not across the WAN.

Thanks!

P__Witteman
Level 3

Thank you for your reaction. From your reply I understand I don't make myself very clear.
I don't want to backup server B to itself. I want to backup data from server A to server B. This is already working, so not a problem. The problem is that I want as less as possible data over the vpn. I need a smart kind of backup using some kind of incremental bu and deleting to old file versions. But I assume there is no way with this version of BUE because there is no way to look at dedublicate...

with regards, pieter

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

No worries...then Incremental/Differential backups are your only way to go here...leave those backups for during the week, and do the full backup over a weekend when the VPN connection should be utilised the least.