cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

compression ratio

nnn
Level 4

Hi,

we use Symantec Exec 2010 R3. For one week backup we have 5 media online, but why capacity for all of them is different? Could I use 1,7 or 2 compression ratio to get more data to media?

available capacity used capacity data compression ratio
Not appendable (media full) 1,75gb 779,7gb of 781,5  771,02gb 1:1
Not appendable (media full) 1,57gb 779,9gb of 781,5 694,07gb 1:1
Not appendable (media full) 1,57gb 779,9gb of 781,5 485,98gb 1:1
Not appendable (media full) 1,76gb 779,7gb of 781,5 1,32tb 1,7:1
Not appendable (media full) 1,67gb 779,8gb of 781,5 678,97gb 1:1

8 REPLIES 8

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Excat compression rates depends on what you backup up - lots of video fiels which are already compressed won't compress further. a word document might compress a lot.

Also as you are doing disk based backups, I hope you are set to use Software compression

nnn
Level 4

one more question, could I restore hyper-v machine to network disk? thanks

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You can redirect the f.VHD files to a disk loctioon available to the media server using redirection, but they would just be files you would still have to manage them to make use of the content.

Or you could GRT restore the content as a redirect and not have the VHD files

so answer is yes just depends on what you want to do.

nnn
Level 4

Yes I found availabily to redirect hyper-v backup to share folder.

And if talking about compression, is the compression ratio selected automatically, or could I set the highest ratio available and Symantec Exec will choose that could be compressed?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Compression is done on a hardware, software or none level, with combinations of them. Compression isn't a selection unfortunately. It's turned on on the library/autoloader, and within BE. The data you're backing up then dictates what sort of compression you're getting. Anything from 1.1 - 1.6:1 is considered great, and you will VERY rarely get 2:1 unless you're backing up only text files for example.

Files that are already compressed won't be compressed again.

THanks!

nnn
Level 4

Hi,

i tried to run manual backup and it failed with error:

Error category    : Resource Errors
Error             : e000fe1f - The device cannot be found.

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65055

backup was runing from schedule fine for couple weeks. What can couse this error ?

thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...that's either a folder that was explicitly selected and no longer exists (check your job log and tie that in with your selection list selections), or your backup device is offline (Check the Devices tab within BE and make sure nothing is offline...if so, right-click and then choose the option to place it Online).

You should also check Windows Device Manager...make sure the backup device shows up there. If not, scan for new hardware, and then restart the BE services. What Windows sees, BE sees...

nnn
Level 4

it could be the selected option is not right because media was not full or ofline them job failed. I will check this.

thanks