cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connection question

Shahin123
Level 6

We have BE 2010, we have 2 domains these 2 domain the backup libray and media server are in the domain A, the media server has a NIC that I use it to connect to a switch that it connected to the domain B, in the domain B we have a server I did install the windows Agent on this server and create an local account on this server, and use this account to backup files on the the server in the doman B, the server in the domain B has 2 NICs one has internal IP as the same reng of the domain A 10.0.10.0 and second NIC has an Public IP 62.XX.XX.230. I can run my backup job without any problem., but today I found out that the BE use the external IP of the server in the domain B to backup the files, and this cost us mony becuse the data must go trough tge 62.XX.XX.230 instead of the 10.0.10.0.

how can I tel the BE to use the internal NIC of the server in the domain B instead of the externl NIC.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You could specify which network to use in Network and Security tab on the job.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Also make sure that name resolution from the media server to wherever it is connecting to name resolves everything using your internal IP address scheme.

This will of course means either using local hosts files or having a special DNS server just for thee media servers to use that name resolve using the internal IP addresses. You do not want to play about with the DNS results that will affect how things you do want to use the public network resolve the IP addresses so be careful.

Shahin123
Level 6

Hi colin,

Thanks for your replay,

I also tough would be beter to use host file instead of DNS, so on the media server I did add the IP address of the server in the Domain B to the host file and create a new backup job, but when run the job I still can see that the external IP of the server in the domain B has been used:

Network control connection is established between 10.0.10.13:56579 <--> 62.XX.XX.101:10000
Network data connection is established between    10.0.10.13:56583 <--> 62.XX.XX.101:24110

when I ping the FQDN of the remote server from the media server I get the internal IP of the remote server.

Any idea why media server still point to the public IP of the remote server?

Thanks