cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

differntial backups for SAS on Linux

Liese
Level 2
Hi,

I've tried everything to get the differential backups of SAS on Linux to work with no luck.  I'm using the same selection list for both fulls and diffs and using modified time instead of archive bits.  I've tried using "Preserve changed time" under the Linux settings but that doesn't seem to make a difference either way - the diffs are always the same size as the fulls.

Is it the case that a differential backup doesn't work on SAS data sets?  Other Linux jobs I have set up are running as they should (ie: the diffs are much smaller than the fulls) so I'm starting to suspect that maybe this can't be done.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks,
Liese
4 REPLIES 4

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Liese,

Which version of linux is the server running? (i.e. Redhat EL 5, SUSE EL 9, Debian, etc)

Also what revision of 11d are you running?

Liese
Level 2
BE 11D ver. 7170 and the SAS server is running Red Hat Enterprise Linux version 3.

Thanks,
Liese

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Liese,

Are you familiar with debugging the linux agent?  This is something I haven't been able to reproduce yet with a few backups that I have run.  I'm curious to see if there is another application that might be changing the modified time on the files you are backing up or if the agent just is just doing something wrong.

Run this command for me as well "cat /var/VRTSralus/ralus.ver"  and let me know the output.

Liese
Level 2
Blipsey,

I am not that familiar with Linux, but I asked our Linux guy to run the command and here is his result (the node name has been removed from the commands):

csetzer@rcsetzer]$ cat /var/VRTSralus/ralus.ver

[csetzer@rcsetzer]$ uname -a

Linux  2.4.21-47.0.1.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Oct 13 17:56:20 EDT 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Thanks,

Liese