cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

e00084f4 - An unknown error has occured after upgrade to 11d

Brendan_Root
Level 2
Had 10.1 and was working fine.

Since I upgraded backup jobs always fail with the error message as per the subject.

Device is a USB HP DAT 72 drive, tape drivers are version 1.5.3.2

I have tried re-installing the drivers, Server has been restarted, so has tape drive
5 REPLIES 5

Brendan_Root
Level 2
Sorry, will add a bit more info:

OS is Windows SBS 2003
I've tried multiple tapes
I can successfully run a Quick Erase & Eject jobs.

Mikko_V_nttinen
Level 2
Same here, with HP ultrium1 SCSI drive. I've also tried with HP drivers but no help.

An unknown error occurred on device "HP 1".
V-79-57344-34036 - An unknown error has occurred.

I also had 10.1 working fine for 6 months before upgrade.

maxi_maximus
Level 4
Are you using the HP driver or the Symantec driver?

You can also try disabling the drive in Backup Exec devices and deleting. Then stop all the BE services and start. Go back into BE and check to see that the device has been detected again. If so try another Backup.

Are there any errors in the Windows Event log? SYSTEM log in particular? Also lookout for event id's 7, 9, 11, 15

Mikko_V_nttinen
Level 2
I'm using Symantec drivers that came with BE 11d, but I also tried 2 different HP drivers.

Now I disabled and deleted the drive from BE, restarted services, and started BE. Now the backup job starts just fine!

Thanks alot maximus!!

Brendan can you try the same thing if it works for you too...

Dan_Wakeman
Level 4
This is how I finally fixed the same error after a lot of effort and failed attempts.

Test your tape drive to be sure it works outside of Backup Exec. I had an HP drive. Go to hp.com/go/tape. Find the link under "value added software" for "Library and Tape Tools", click that link, download the software. L&TT is a free diagnostic tool for HP tape drives and libraries. If it works, the problem is within Backup Exec. (I was using 12.5 with the very latest drivers (literally posted this week).
  1. Disable the tape drive in Backup Exec (right click on it)
  2. Delete the tape drive in Backup Exec (right click again, need to disable first) This must be done in Backup Exec! Doing the same in Windows Device Manager and rebooting did not fix the problem.
  3. Stop all the Backup Exec services (I did this with services manager & confirmed in Windows Services)
  4. Start all the Backup Exec services
  5. The tape drive should be re-detected.

Dan