cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hcl backup exec 2010

eduzav
Level 4

Hy, I viewed on HCL that red hat 2 distribution ralus agent is not supported on backup exec 2010 r2, is it true?

I have 3 old linux and the idea is install ralus agent on them.

what do you think?

thanks

8 REPLIES 8

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

BE2010 R2 supports Redhat Enterprise 4.0 - 5.4 only.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

You may be able to finagle things so that the Agent installs, and even runs, and may actually get it to backup. You could even try installing a back level RALUS agent that does support RH 2   But you are totally on your own should you ever have any problems.  

I certainly would not trust my production data to such a setup. 

eduzav
Level 4

Ok I'm going to configure a testing environment to do that.

Where can I download the old version of ralus agent for rad hat 2 which runs with backup exec 2010?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE 2010 can only talk to a BE 12.5 agent.  BE 12.5 does not support RHEL 2, so you are out of luck.

eduzav
Level 4

Anyway, I couldn't install the ralus for be2010 on red hat 2 distribution.

I get a missed package error.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH52256

rendersr
Level 5
Partner Accredited

A possible workaround could be to create a SMB share and select the share in Backup Exec. Or dump the data on another share.

That's how I did it this week when I had an unsupported AIX machine.

@pkh: are you sure that it isn't working?

eduzav
Level 4

Yes, actually I do the backup on a share of another server with be2010 agente installed, but it is more prolix to do it directly!!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

@rrenders

are you sure that it isn't working?

It may connect and it may not.  It may backup, and it may not.  If it does, it may stop working at any time.

Since the RH version is not on the SCL, if it ever does fail, Symantec will not help you try to recover your data.  Any kludge you come up with is entirely on you.