Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lost license codes

tonyalbers
Level 3
Partner

Hi all,

I'm not used to backup exec, but I have a customer who has lost their backup-server(water-damaged).

Does the licenses come as emails, or as some sort of paper? I'm asking because they don't know where to look for them. (the earlier sysadmin who installed the server is no longer with their company)

Thanks,

/tony

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

How the license arrived kind of depends on which version of Backup Exec it was and where the license was purchased from so it could be an e-mail or a letter.

However if you have a tape containing a backup of the original backup server than you can install Backup Exec in evaluation mode and then restore the besernum.xml file and use that with the import button on the licenses screen.

Failing that you can phone our customer care team and ask them to assist with cheking records to see if they can identify what licenses were owned.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

How the license arrived kind of depends on which version of Backup Exec it was and where the license was purchased from so it could be an e-mail or a letter.

However if you have a tape containing a backup of the original backup server than you can install Backup Exec in evaluation mode and then restore the besernum.xml file and use that with the import button on the licenses screen.

Failing that you can phone our customer care team and ask them to assist with cheking records to see if they can identify what licenses were owned.

tonyalbers
Level 3
Partner

Thanks Colin, I'll give it a shot.

/tony