cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Access is Denied" error backing up Win2k/2k3 Server shares without agent

Murph_Krajewski
Level 4
I have a job that runs against multiple servers (some 2k, some 2k3). One of the servers has an agent installed and backs up just fine. The other servers do NOT have agents installed, and some of them backup up via user-defined shares. One of the servers (2k3) has three shares, one of which backs-up fine and the other two fail.

I have several servers, Enterprise-wide (the above servers included), that show the following error in the Job Log:

Error category : Security Errors
Error : e0008488 - Access is denied.
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33928

...and I see this error in the itemized breakdown of the same log:

Error : e00084af - The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed.

The referenced link talks about verifying share permissions, etc. (all of which I did prior to following the link, then redid for the sake of detail). I've gone as far as creating entirely new shares and verifying the folder-level permissions, yet I still receive the same errors.

My question is two-fold:
1. Why the two different errors?
2. How can I fix?

Thanks for any & all help out there!
3 REPLIES 3

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

This error is displayed because user-defined shares are folders which may contain information for Cluster or Active Directory apart from other shared folders. Hence it is mandatory to have a Remote Agent installed for this kind of backup. So that users are warned that some of these shares may not get backed up if Remote Agent for Windows Servers is not installed.

Please note that, if you are performing a remote backup then you need to have the remote agent to be installed. Even if you have user defined shares, you need to have the agents.

We hope this will help you.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Murph_Krajewski
Level 4
"may contain information for Cluster or Active Directory apart from other shared folders."

Can you please go into further detail about what specific information could make this happen? I'm curious as to why I can backup some shares but not others.

Murph_Krajewski
Level 4
My question was answered, sort of.

The fix was correcting some configuration details.