cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Communications failure" when open files are skipped

jhanson
Level 3
I'm backing up without the "Advanced Open Files" option. If I set the software to back up open files anyway, the backup fails, not surprisingly, reporting 4 outlook-related files that failed to back up. This is expected, and explained in the documention. So, In order to avoid this message, I tried setting the software to not back up any open files. I expected it to skip the open files, but to report the backup as sucessful. (For our needs, this can safely be considered successful; we have our own strategy to make sure all files get backed up within a reasonable amount of time.)

Now, the backup fails with a "communications error." It says, "The connection with the target system has been lost. Backup Set Cancelled."

I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with the network connection, especially since this message only appears when I turn on "skip open files." Anybody know what could be causing it?

3 REPLIES 3

SRodriguez
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Hi,

In order to determine what could be causing the lost of connection with the Remote Agent we will need to debug the services.

How to Enable Debug Logs using BEUtility feature of Backup Exec 10.x and 11.d for Windows Server
http://support.veritas.com/docs/254488
How to debug the Backup Exec (tm) Remote Agent using the Windows Registry

Regards,

Sandra Rodriguez
Advanced Technical Support Engineer

jhanson
Level 3
Followup: after restarting all backup exec services, the connection problem went away. Further experimentation has shown that every time I change a policy or selection list, there's about a 1 in 4 chance that the software will start acting funny, either giving strange error messages or else simply refusing to schedule new jobs at all. Restarting the services (i.e. Tools -> Backup Exec Services... -> Restart all services) fixes these problems every time. I haven't really noticed a pattern as to what changes cause the instability. Mildly annoying, but nothing I can't live with.

Joseph_Gremilli
Level 4
I too, have suffered from this problem.  Come to find out it is yet another defect in 11d.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/288360