cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"The connection to target system has been lost." error during verify.

Michael_Bird
Level 3
I am running Backup Exec version 10.0 on a Windows 2003 Small Business Server (service pack 1). About a week ago, one of the agents at my office managed to somehow delete the scheduled backup job while trying to add a new folder to the backup selection.

I recreated the job just as it was set up before. However, now every backup job fails during the verify process with an error message that says, "V-79-57344-65072 - The connection to target system has been lost. Backup set canceled." The failure happens when verifying the files backed up from a remote Windows XP Pro machine that stores a database and a couple of small files related to the database that used by our office management system. The files are being backed up to tape properly but the verify appears to be failing as soon as it tries to connect to the workstation.

The XP machine is running the Remote Agent service. I have re-installed the service twice to verify that it is installed properly. I have completely disabled the Service Pack 2 firewall with no change in the results.

The knowledge base article http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/284155.htm indicates that this error is usually caused by including the C:\Windows\System32\WBEM folder in the backup selections. However, this folder is not selected on the server running the backup software, and the drive I am backing up on the XP machine is a secondary hard drive that doesn't have anything on it except database and its related files (roughly 3 GB of data).

The backups ran without errors for almost a year before the previous job was deleted so I assume that I did something wrong when recreating the job but I have created four separate "test" jobs since the issue started and every one of them fails when trying to verify the files on this remote computer. I would appreciate any suggestions you can give me. The files do seem to be getting backed up, but without the verification portion of the backup process, I am concerned that key files may not be available if we ever need to restore them.
7 REPLIES 7

Michael_Bird
Level 3
I'm sorry to be a pest but I really do need some help getting this issue resolved. Thanks!

zippy
Level 6
Mike,

Look at the Lan card 10/100/1000 for speed settings.
between the
Server - switch - xp box

also check the hostnames are correct. between the two.

Check your patches

http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=51788&tstart=300

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/255814.htm

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/240054.htm

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=V-79-57344-65072&btnG=Google+Search

JD

Michael_Bird
Level 3
Server is 1000 full duplex. XP workstation is 100 full duplex. Both are auto detecting the link speed.

Host names on the computers are correct and there is absolutely no difficulty communicating between the computers at any other time. The files are being backed up, but the system is getting the error when doing the verify on files that are already backed up so the job doesn't complete properly. If I disable verify on the job for testing, the job completes without errors.

I'll check the patch versions when I get back in the office.Message was edited by:
Michael Bird

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Please check if the Port 10000 is open.

Backup EXECremote agent(RAWS)uses port 10000(NDMP) of the systems,where RAWS is installed. These errors would occur, if this port is used by another application .In order to check, do the following (on the media servers and the remote servers):

You can download the TCP View utility program, from the Website "www.sysinternals.com". If you implement the utility program you can see the list of ports used by your system.

Thank You,

Shweta

Michael_Bird
Level 3
The Windows XP firewall is completely disabled on the workstation, and there's no firewall installed on the server. I opened port 10000 in the firewall settings on the workstation anyway but it didn't make a difference. No other program is using this port on either machine.

Michael_Bird
Level 3
To answer James Dunn:

The server's NIC is set at 1000Mbps full duplex (auto detected) connected to a GigaBit port on the switch.

The XP workstation's NIC is 100Mbps full duplex (auto detected) connected to a 100Mbps port on the same switch. There is a second Gigabit port on the switch and I connected the workstation to that port for testing but got the same results. I do not currently have a spare Gigabit card that I can install in the workstation but I did try a spare 100MB NIC as well as alternate ethernet cables and got the same results when doing the verify.

The server and the workstation both have the newest drivers available for their network adapters.

The version of Backup Exec running on the server is 10.0 rev. 5520.

Thank you again for your help. I hope we can get this resolved soon. My office manager is starting to pester me several times a day about the backup failure notices. It's not critical (yet) since the files are being backed up, but the lack of verification on the backup job is a definite concern.

Michael_Bird
Level 3
I have now re-installed the service on the remote computer as well as the drivers for network adapters in both computers. I have recreated the entire backup job and have confirmed that all firewalls are completely disabled on the remote machine - none are installed on the server. I am still getting this same error on every backup job as soon as the verification process attempts to verify files on the remote machine. We are getting to the point where the boss is considering getting rid of Backup Exec completely and going with something else if we cannot get the issue resolved. If you have any additional ideas or suggestions, please help. Thanks!