cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"This backup set may not contain any data." Unable to backup 1 folder

Edward_Charles
Level 6
This is a very strange problem we have, never seen it before on any of our 30+ backup servers.
There is one 18GB folder we need to backup and is located on the D: data drive on the same server that runs the backups using Sym BE 10.1d.
It's not a premission thing since the administrator has access to everything and we can backup everything else but this one main folder. FYI: this folder is also being replicated to another location with DFS so we can't just create a new folder instead.

When you run a test job it actually completes successfully and even shows the 18GB in size but then when you run the actual job it also completes "successfully" but only backs up 4k and get the message: "This backup set may not contain any data."

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Paul
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Sounds like you are backing up the Link only, not the linked data

Edward_Charles
Level 6
Thanks Ken,

I've check on that but we are actually backing up the main folder and not the DFS link. Strangly enough, since it is replicating with DFS, the folder at the other end does get backed up properly by Symantec BE, just not on the main primary server for some strange reason.
We have many other clients with DFS replication and never had problems backing up those folders.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Edward_Charles
Level 6
Ok here is finally an update since I never heard anything back I've done more troubleshooting.
Again, we were simply backing up the data folder on the D: volume on the same server.
I had to select the folder in question from the share in network places instead of directly on D:
We've never had to select a folder this way before and have many servers running DFS.
I can't explain this but all I know is that this was the only way to actually being able to backup any files within this folder.

Regards,