cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

redirect restores using Netware agent

Daniel_Walsh
Level 2
I have BackupExec v10d/SP3 on Windows 2003 std. It talks to remote netware agents. I am unsure of the netware agent version but the file date is 1-12-2006 (are seen on bkupexec.nlm). The netware servers are 4.11sp9 (basically 4.2) and 5.0sp6a.

I can do backups flawlessly from the remote netware agents. I can also restore to the original location without trouble. The problem is that I cannot do a redirected restore to the same netware server but different location or a different netware server alltogether. I _can_ restore to a remote windows server but run into corruption issues if the netware files had been compressed prior to backup (and the knowledgebase well-documents this issue, so no big deal. but this is why I _must_ be able to restore to alternate locations on Netware, for the times when I don't want to overwrite the existing files).

The error I get when doing a redirected restore to a remote netware server is the following:
--snip--
Final error: 0xe000fe29 - Authentication failed on connection to the server.
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65065
Access is denied to Remote Agent
--snip--

The NDS account used for authentication has full control over the entire tree. Again, backups and restores to original locations work flawlessly. I don't think it's a user authentication issue as the error suggests.

thanks,
daniel
5 REPLIES 5

criley
Employee Accredited
Put the agent into debug mode (BESTART -ZL) and then retry the restore. What, if any, errors do you see in sys:\bkupexec\log\ndmpd.log?

You should also be aware that NetWare 4.11, 4.2 & 5.0 are no longer supported:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/278254

Neeraja_Diwan
Level 4
When Backup Exec (tm) for Windows Servers runs a restore job targeted to a Remote Agent for NetWare Servers, a proxy connection is made through the local Remote Agent for Windows Servers located on the media server. This connection is authenticated using a logon account known as the System Logon Account. This account is created when Backup Exec is first installed on the media server. The user name and password for this account are initially set to be the same credentials provided to install and start the Backup Exec services. If the System Logon Account is deleted, has the user name changed to a user who does not have Administrator rights on the Windows media server, or contains an incorrect password, restores to the Remote Agent for NetWare Servers will fail.

RESOLUTION
Create or edit the System Logon Account and set the user name to be a Windows user with Administrator rights to the Windows media server

(Applies to NetWare versions 5.1, 6.0, 6.5)

Daniel_Walsh
Level 2
I ran with BESTART -ZL but the NDMPD.LOG remains at 0 bytes.

I think I understand about the need for a proper "system logon account". My bkupexec installation has two accounts -- one is the "system logon account" and the other is a netware NDS account. As far as I can tell, the system logon account is used for backups/restores to remote windows agents. And the NDS-named account is used for backups/restores to Netware agents.

Please note that I can do normal backups/restores from/to netware agents as long as I don't enable "redirection". Furthermore, remote windows agents work perfectly, both as backups and restores (even when using redirect).

any more thoughts? thanks...

criley
Employee Accredited
I've heard of similar issues that were resolved by deleting/re-creating the system logon account:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/257256
http://support.veritas.com/docs/274012

Daniel_Walsh
Level 2
well, that did the trick. I deleted and re-created the "system logon account" using the exact same name/password combo.

I can now do redirected restores using both windows and netware agents.

I don't understand "why" this works because I thought only the special NDS-named account in bkupexec would be used for the netware agents. The "system logon account" and my NDS account do not have the same password at all, so even if they were related, I'd think the password differences would cause problems.

Anyway, it's working! thanks a zillion!
daniel