cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restore

cjohne
Level 2
I have a new 2003 server running Backup Exec 11.0d and a the old 2003 server running Backup Exec 10. Both servers have the same type tape drive. I want to keep the old server off site  and restore my SQL backup to it weekly. Is this a function of  Backup Exec and if so how would this be performed?
6 REPLIES 6

Greg_Meister
Level 6
Good morning!

Assuming the old 10.x server has a SQL installation of the same revision and Service Pack level as the original SQL server being backed up by 11.d, you should be able to perform a redirected restore to that servers SQL instance. You will need to run an inventory and catalog job on the media from the 11.d server in order to access the restore sets.

Please let me know if this answers your questions, or if I can be of further assistance.

Greg

cjohne
Level 2
Thanks, As I unserstand, I put the tapes from new server into old server TD and run inventory & catalog job. Then I can access restore sets and do a restore..

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Greg, are you saying that you can take a backup on 11d, and restore it on a 10d server? http://support.veritas.com/docs/285365 says "It is not possible to use Backup Exec 10d to restore 11d backups."

cjohne
Level 2
So I would need to upgrade 10d to 11d for all of this to work?

Greg_Meister
Level 6
As that technote states:
 This issue only effects VSS Backups, agent backups are compatible.
Our agents are engineered to be backward compatible at least one revision, so performing a SQL backup under 11.d and restoring under 10.d should pose no problem.

Hope that clarifies things.

Greg

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Thanks for clarifying that Greg - it's interesting to know, even though I can't find a Technote stating it!