cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

symantec backup exec 2010 R2 license renewal

esco
Level 4

hi

I have symantec backup exec 2010 R2 and my license expires on 31 May 2014. Every year I renew my license through a local vendor. However, this year when I contacted the vendor they are saying it is not possible to renew the license for 2010. I was asked to upgrade it to 2012. Hence, can any one update me on this.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Unfortunately Tech Support members cannot fully confirm your renewel options - you do need to speak to our customer care teams for that and we therefore cannot provide more of a procedure than that.

The ability to upgrade to 2010 R3 has nothing to do with maintenance renewel you would be able to do that anyway because the same software serial numbers are used and you don't have to be issued with new ones. The procedure is download the ISO installer (either from our fileshare or a suitable BE 2010 R3 trialware link) and run the setup program to upgrade the current installation, then run liveupdate (possibly more than once) to apply the latest service pack and any additional hotfixes, then push out any remote agents to update them.

Typically (but possibly not always) going from a gold release through to R2 or R3 releases uses the same keycodes and is therefore is a free/no cash cost upgrade (it will cost some man hours to actually do it). If it is a complete new version that has been released then new licenses would be required (either via a maintenance agreement or a direct purchase at the time of upgrading)

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

AmolB

I would suggest you to contact Symantec Licensing Team.

http://www.symantec.com/support/assistance_care.jsp

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you renew you receive a license for BE2012, but you can still use the older BE2010 (R2) version.

Please keep in mind that this version does not receive updates/enanchments anymore, so if you (for example) require an Exchange 2013 backup, you are forced to upgrade to a newer version.

esco
Level 4

Does that mean I will be running BE2010(R2) but I have the option to upgrade it to BE2012 in case I want to. Furthermore will I get support for BE2010 (R2) though I have the licence for BE2012 (but still running 2010 (R2).

I just need to backup what I have been backing up till now (no need of thinking about Exchange 2013 and others as we will be with the current infrastructure for few more years)

Colin_Weaver

The software licences for Backup Exec do not expire, the Support and Maintenance licenses/agreements do.

Mainteneance agreements usually do give you licences for newer versions as long as you have an active maintenance agreement when the newer version is released

BTW you can upgrade to Backup Exec 2010 R3 using the same serial numbers/keycodes as that used for 2010 R2, and R3 does have updates/patches that will never be released for the R2 version.

Also as BE 2012 uses a single server per job model, you might want to wait for BE 2014 to be available before you upgrade from any of the 2010 versions

esco
Level 4

does that mean i can not renew the support and maintenance licences for the current version which expires for me on 31 may 2014?

and the option i have is to upgrade to backup exec 2010 R3.

i was trying to renew support for the following

• SYMC BACKUP EXEC 2010 AGENT FOR WINDOWS SYSTEMS WIN PER SERVER RENEWAL ESSENTIAL 12 MONTHS EXPRESS BAND S
  • SYMC BACKUP EXEC 2010 SERVER WIN PER SERVER RENEWAL ESSENTIAL 12 MONTHS EXPRESS BAND S
  • SYMC BACKUP EXEC 2010 AGENT REMOTE FOR LINUX OR UNIX SERVERS LNX/UNX PER SERVER RENEWAL ESSENTIAL 12 MONTHS EXPRESS BAND S
  • SYMC BACKUP EXEC 2010 AGENT FOR ORACLE WIN PER SERVER RENEWAL ESSENTIAL 12 MONTHS

what if i want to upgrade to backup exec 2010 R3 and renew support for the above products. what is the procedure

Colin_Weaver

Unfortunately Tech Support members cannot fully confirm your renewel options - you do need to speak to our customer care teams for that and we therefore cannot provide more of a procedure than that.

The ability to upgrade to 2010 R3 has nothing to do with maintenance renewel you would be able to do that anyway because the same software serial numbers are used and you don't have to be issued with new ones. The procedure is download the ISO installer (either from our fileshare or a suitable BE 2010 R3 trialware link) and run the setup program to upgrade the current installation, then run liveupdate (possibly more than once) to apply the latest service pack and any additional hotfixes, then push out any remote agents to update them.

Typically (but possibly not always) going from a gold release through to R2 or R3 releases uses the same keycodes and is therefore is a free/no cash cost upgrade (it will cost some man hours to actually do it). If it is a complete new version that has been released then new licenses would be required (either via a maintenance agreement or a direct purchase at the time of upgrading)

Spencer_Simpson
Level 4

Colin's reply is the correct one:  Just keep renewing what you can renew and using the version you want to use, but at some point you'll have to physically upgrade your BE instalation to get technical support.

All of the entries in your list are *support contracts* and not *licenses*.  The telltale is the word ESSENTIAL; a license would end in LIC.

If you've been keeping your support current you should already have licenses for BE 2012 or at least the right to upgrade the licenses.  You can upgrade the license to 2012 without physically installing 2012.

Symantec's licensing portal is far from the most user friendly but that's where you manage licenses yourself.  If you need directed help you should open a customer support (not a technical support) case and have them guide you through it.

If you log into the licensing portal at https://licensing.symantec.com with your MySymantec credentials, you should see three buttons: View all licenses, New and Renewal purchases, and Version Upgrade.

Click on View all licenses and look through the list for things that contain 2012 and end in LIC.   They may be mixed in with old versions like BE 2010 (which you'd access to get the license key to install 2010),

If you do not see them, make sure that all of the serial numbers (beginning with M) from the Support certificates you received the last time you renewed support appear in the list.  If not, try adding them with New and Renewal purchases.   But you may need to upgrade the license to 2012 in order to link the support contracts. 

If, after that, you still don't see them, look in your old email for upgrade notifications Symantec would have sent you when they released BE 2012.  If you can find them, use Version Upgrade to enter the upgrade codes from the emails.  If not, the version upgrade page gives you a link to upgrade using your cstomer number (appears on your certificate).

Failing that, there's always customer support.  Again, not technical support.

esco
Level 4

This might not be related to the forum. However as you have provided a link I would like to let you know that there is no contact information for my area. In that case do you have an idea whom to contact.

esco
Level 4

This might not be related to the forum. However would be glad if you could direct me.

We renew the support service through a local shop. Due to this we are unable to find the user id with which the customer account was created or to which email id our account is created. We do have the customer number and other details printed on the certificate. In this case any idea on how to proceed.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Again, the Symantec Licencing Department would be the best bet.