cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to restore from backup

Tony_sinopoli
Level 2
Need help ASAP...PLEASE

My doctor had a harddrive crash. After all hardware problems were fixed he is tryinh to restore a tape of his data with Backup exec 8.6 Rev 3878.

We tried starting the job several times but nothing happens. I verified that there are files on the tape by looking from a DOS window and I was also able to copy a 672 meg backup file from the tape to the Windows desktop so I know it exists.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. He is hosed without this data and has learned a valuable lesson...
3 REPLIES 3

Noel_Vergith
Level 2
I may be out of my element (8.0 and 8.5) so I have to ask, were the tape inventories and catalogs correct/operational from BE? And if so, was there any data encryption on the original files being backed up?

Tony_sinopoli
Level 2
> I may be out of my element (8.0 and 8.5) so I have to
> ask, were the tape inventories and catalogs
> correct/operational from BE? And if so, was there
> any data encryption on the original files being
> backed up?

Not really sure. I dont know my way around the software that well. Is there a way to restore if I am able to copy the file from the tape to the desktop. I could not fina a way to change the path to do this.
Thanks for the reply.

Noel_Vergith
Level 2
This is what I know - which may be enough to fill a peanut shell:

1) Open the Backup Exec Program, connect to the server, insert the tape

2) go to the Device tab and select the drive (for me I am using a Compaq system so I go to COMPAQ1) right button click and select inventory

3) In the job monitor follow the progress of the inventory, this will give you the name of the tape/media in the drive slot - when complete go back to the Device tab

4) Again, after a successful inventory, on the drive specified right button click and select Catalogue - this operation will take a more than a few minutes, but will populate the media contents in the Restore tab (please note that if it is not empty the Restore tab listings can be deleted to ensure you are dealing with the tape in the slot)

5) Since you have an oprating system installed, if the Catalogue process is successful, you can go to the Restore tab in BE and select the files to restore. The restore options will allow for you to put the files in thier original location, or redirect to another drive location.
-- I fyou think there might be currupt files, ie: system files, then do the redirect.

I have never known of a restore happening form a copy of the film placed on the desktop - but then again I am no guru with BE either - MS Backup will do arestore of a hard disk copy of a backup file - but that is differnt from accessing tape.