cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

very slow performance backup systemstate W2K8R2SP1

Juergen_K
Level 2

Hello,

Backup-Job starts normal, but when to go to systemstate it hangs. Over 4-8 hours no data goes to the backup-server. On the remote-host beremote.exe makes 80-90% CPU an after this 4-8 houres again comes data from the remote-host from directory "\_SharedHardlinkData_".

All my W2K8R2-Servers without SP1 are ok.

What does beremote.exe in this 4-8 houres ????

10 REPLIES 10

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

As ZeroCool suggested that this the known issue. Just wanted to add more to it that this issue is resolved in the coming version of Backup Exec which will be released soon.....( its just round the corner :) )

Thanks,

-Sush...

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Sush,

Do you mean 2010 R3 ?

I think it is already available in early release, will look into it and download it.

Sush---
Level 6

Yes. 2010 R3 fixes that issue.

Thanks,

-Sush...

enta
Level 2

Hmm...yesterday I installed BackupExec 2010 R3 on a 32bit Windows Server 2003 and started to take backup of Windows Server 2008 R2 and BackupExec does indeed hang on the _SharedHardlinkdata_, so it does not look to me that the problem has gone with the R3 release. The backup has now been hanging for at least 3-4 hours. I guess I have to stop the job. I saw somewere that sombody solved the problem by doing some ajustment on the Open File Option. I will try that when this job is over.

Thanks

Enta.

enta
Level 2

The job was hanging many hours and I saw the name of the _SharedHardlinkData_ in the progress window. The job status was all the time "Running" and then when I was looking around I noticed a request to remove a tape from the tape device. Usually when that happend a "Loading medium" appear in the job status. When I removed the tape the job was over. Maybe this is ok in the R3 version

Enta

Sush---
Level 6

Again its by design that the job will show running till you remove the tape or u respond to the alert. To automatically respond to the Alert go to ALERTS>>CONFIGURE ALERT CATEGORIES>>Media Remove.... select the Automatically respond to the Alert after 2 minutes... Respond with YES....

Now you will see that the job will show completed as soon as its finished and will not wait for you to remove the tape physically.

Inti
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Why do I have to answer to a "remove the Tape" request even if I have the Option "Eject Tape after Completion" selected for that particular Job ?

robnicholson
Level 6

I've just done a system state backup of a Windows 2008 R2 SP1 server using B2D storage and it worked fine. Approximately 12GB backed up with speed of 1,200M/min (which is close to the speed of the B2D device).

However, I cannot get same system state backup working to deduplication storage but I've just raised another post about that. And we've managed to renew our support contract (or rather are renew..ing and thanks to Symantec employees on here who got this sorted)  so will start firing off some support calls as well.

Cheers, Rob.

Sush---
Level 6

Please refer to this:

The Media remove alert is a request to acknowledge that media has been removed from a tape drive. Most tape drives provide status to Backup Exec when media is removed, which clears the alert. Other tape drives do not generate this status and the alert must be cleared with a response.

Refer to http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO22883

Thanks,

-Sush...