cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Storage Lifecycle Policy (SLP) operations retry after a failure?

mcdonamw_ews
Level 2

I have an SLP with both a replication operation as well as a duplication operation.  One of my duplication operations for a given VM failed.  

I'm curious if NBU automatically retries jobs/operations, specifically those above.  It doesn't appear to have done so over the last 12 hours, so I'm assuming not and I must wait until the next backup and hope the next image is duplicated?  

I don't see an option to manually restart the job to get that particular image so I fear I have a lack of redundancy for it.

5 REPLIES 5

quebek
   VIP    Certified
Hi
Yes it should.
Check the output from command
nbstlutil report
Read about above command

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

SLP guarantees that you will get the copies you asked for.
The default behavior is that after the first try, SLP will retry two times in increments of 5 minutes. After the first 3 tries, the retry interval is 2 hours.The retry intervals are configured at the master server's properties under SLP parameters.

By design, a backup is not expired until all copies are done, even if the expiration date for all copies has passed.
I disagree with that design. My opinion is that SLP must expire a backup if all copies expiration passed. 

mcdonamw_ews
Level 2

Hmm.  I've gone through all the job in activity monitor and I've had other jobs replicating/duplicating but I cannot find any other attempt for this specific client.  They all use the same backup/slp.

Unfortunately I don't think I can run nbstlutil as I don't have direct access to the master server (belongs to our Linux team).  I'll have to see if someone else can get that.

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

check if the particular backupid has copies, using the catalog section of the GUI

X2
   VIP   

@StefanosM wrote:

check if the particular backupid has copies, using the catalog section of the GUI

This is the correct, reliable and efficient way to find out about backup images and their copied. Going through backup jobs is like finding a needle in a haystack sometimes... especially for duplication jobs.