cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to get a listing of clients and backup selections in a report format?

evaporated
Level 2
I know that I can see a listing of backup selections with policies, and I know that I can see a list of policies with clients, but is there an easy way of getting a listing of all the clients a master server backs up, along with their backup selections regardless of policy name?

Thanks in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

e.g. run from a Solaris box

bppllist -byclient unix_client | grep INCLUDE
INCLUDE /app
INCLUDE /archive
INCLUDE /backup
INCLUDE /
INCLUDE /tpp

bppllist -byclient windows_client | grep INCLUDE
INCLUDE ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES

or

INCLUDE Shadow Copy Components:\
INCLUDE C:\

Obviously, you could script this to read in a list of clients (e.g. using bpplclients) & output per client. Plus, if you did want the policy the backup selection related to:

bppllist -byclient windows_client | egrep "CLASS|INCLUDE" | grep -v DATACLASSIFICATION
CLASS Policy_Name *NULL* 0 654000 0 *NULL*
INCLUDE ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES

You may possibly want to clean-up the output to remove the superfluous strings.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Will_Restore
Level 6
while not officially supported is a nice tool
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/233488.htm

it can be used to test or gather the following information from the client:
  • Check connectivity to a NetBackup client system
  • Check what mount points or drive letters are seen on a client
  • Check if the mount point or drive letter will be backed up by a policy on the master server
  • Check the client OS version and NetBackup version installed.  

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

e.g. run from a Solaris box

bppllist -byclient unix_client | grep INCLUDE
INCLUDE /app
INCLUDE /archive
INCLUDE /backup
INCLUDE /
INCLUDE /tpp

INCLUDE ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES

or

INCLUDE Shadow Copy Components:\
INCLUDE C:\

Obviously, you could script this to read in a list of clients (e.g. using bpplclients) & output per client. Plus, if you did want the policy the backup selection related to:

bppllist -byclient windows_client | egrep "CLASS|INCLUDE" | grep -v DATACLASSIFICATION
CLASS Policy_Name *NULL* 0 654000 0 *NULL*
INCLUDE ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES

You may possibly want to clean-up the output to remove the superfluous strings.

evaporated
Level 2
Thank you for the suggestions - I'll start messing with these...

Andy - do you have the breakdown of the bppllist options for a Windows master?  I won't be able to run grep on my master server.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
SYNOPSIS
install_path\NetBackup\bin\admincmd\bppllist [policyname] [-L | -l | -U] [-allpolicies] [-M master_server,...] [-hwos] [-byclient client] [-keyword "keyword phrase"] [-verbose]

DESCRIPTION
bppllist lists policies within the NetBackup database.

OPTIONS
-allpolicies  Lists all policies.
-hwos Lists possible hardware and the operating system.
-L Displays a full listing.
-l Displays the information in raw output mode.
-M master_server,... Lists the policy information for one or more specified master.
-U Displays the information in the style that xbpadm uses.
-byclient client Lists the policy information for all policies that contain the client indicated.
-inventory Creates an inventory of the current NetBackup policies and compares it to the previously created inventory. You can create touch file
LOG_CLASS_QUERIES in /usr/openv/netbackup to log changes to policies. The changes are logged in /usr/openv/netbackup logs/PolicyQueries.log. The customer is responsible for the administration of the log file (periodic truncation, etc.).
-keyword "keyword phrase" The value is associated with all backups created by using this policy. The keyword phrase can be used to link related policies. It can also be used during restores to search only for the backups that have the keyword phrase association.
policyname Specifies the policy in the NetBackup database.
-verbose Selects verbose mode for logging.

Taken from Veritas NetBackup (tm) 6.5 Commands for Windows http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290235.htm

I suppose it's how you can manipulate the output that's of significance on a Windows box - can't help you a great deal there I'm afraid.

***EDIT***
This may also assist in 'deciphering' some of the output:
DOCUMENTATION: What do entries in the 'bppllist <policy> -l' command indicate?
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/278209.htm

evaporated
Level 2
Thanks!