cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading encrypted tapes

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I know we can't read encrypted tapes unless we have the device that encrypted it but I am asking to see if there is way around it.

NBU 7.1 running on Windows server.

I had tapes which were backed up with Netbackup years back and encrypted with Decru device. These are LTO1/2/3 Tapes.

Due to some catastrophic failure we lost the decru and now we can't read these tapes. We don't have any restore for those decru to restore the keys.

Is there any possibility or a way to read these encrypted tapes.

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

No work-around that I am aware of...

All I can suggest is to get hold of a Decru (NetApp?) support partner.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

well, that is the  whole purpose of encrypting data. Nobody can read data  :)

If you know the encryption algorithm and encryption key used on the Decru you might have a small chance of recovering the data. If encryption key or paraphrase is unknown data is lost

Genericus
   VIP   

Used to use Decru, when we phased them out, I was the one that had the task of duplicating all the images to disk, then to LTO5 tapes for this exact reason - did not want to have tapes encrypted by unsupoprted hardware.

AFAIK, since Decru uses 2 factor excryption ( key and card) to authenticate, you will likely need to go to ebay and search for a replacement decru device, then you will have to rebuild the keys. 

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Is there a way to rebuild the keys even if you don't have the decru device config backup.

Is there a way to rebuild the keys if I just have the tapes.Any help would be really appreicated. This device is out of support and logging a call with Netapp itself charges huge amount of money.