cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to do restore data what i can see in catalog from BAR.

AjayKumarN
Level 4

Hi All,

I did duplication for my July monthend-Full schedule disk data to tape with the help of SLP. it was success and i can see dat in tape from catalog as copy2 and copy3 like that. after duplication i did not removed data from disk.

But when i cheked from BAR console for this July month and selected one random file and did preview media, i am receiving error like Data is in disk intead of showing used tape numbers. why happening like this?

Is this Normal? am i missing any steps while doing restore from duplicated data? i choose normal backup option while cheking restore in BAR console, i believe i dont need to change this in this case.

i am adding screen shots for better analysis. hope this will helps.

Please help me out. i need to move all monthend data from disk to tape from July 2017 to dec 2017.

Finally, BAR console only saying data is in disk because its is primary or copy no1. if primary/copy1 expires(7 months as per retention which will over this feb 2018 by default) then it will see copy2 and displays tapes that have data? correct me on this too if possible.

thank ypou iun advance!!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

J_MCCOLL
Level 4

Hi,

This appears to be the correct process from what you have stated, the Primay Copy is what NBU will use to recover your files, therefore if the primary copy is on DISK then the BAR GUI will use this to recover files from.

Restore Type: Normal is correct for NDMP restores,

Policy Type: NDMP is correct also.

To duplicate the July 2017 - Dec 2017 data to tape that resides on disk you will need to use the Catalog -> Change the action to Duplicate and select the images that you wish to duplicate.

See previous discussion https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Copy-backup-images-on-disk-to-tape/td-p/536572

View solution in original post

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NetBackup will always restore from the Primary copy.

The 1st copy (to disk) is by default marked as Primary copy.

If you have different retentions for each copy, e.g. 
Copy1 -> 1 month
Copy2 -> 3 months
Copy3 -> 6 months
It works like this:

When copy1 expires after 1 month, copy2 will automatically become the Primary copy.
When copy2 expires after 3 months, copy3 will become the Primary copy.

If you want to restore from a non-primary copy, you can manually promote the copy number to primary.

See this TN for ways to restore from non-primary:
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000035783

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

J_MCCOLL
Level 4

Hi,

This appears to be the correct process from what you have stated, the Primay Copy is what NBU will use to recover your files, therefore if the primary copy is on DISK then the BAR GUI will use this to recover files from.

Restore Type: Normal is correct for NDMP restores,

Policy Type: NDMP is correct also.

To duplicate the July 2017 - Dec 2017 data to tape that resides on disk you will need to use the Catalog -> Change the action to Duplicate and select the images that you wish to duplicate.

See previous discussion https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Copy-backup-images-on-disk-to-tape/td-p/536572

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NetBackup will always restore from the Primary copy.

The 1st copy (to disk) is by default marked as Primary copy.

If you have different retentions for each copy, e.g. 
Copy1 -> 1 month
Copy2 -> 3 months
Copy3 -> 6 months
It works like this:

When copy1 expires after 1 month, copy2 will automatically become the Primary copy.
When copy2 expires after 3 months, copy3 will become the Primary copy.

If you want to restore from a non-primary copy, you can manually promote the copy number to primary.

See this TN for ways to restore from non-primary:
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000035783

Thank you J_MCCOll . i understand how it works now.

Thank you Marianne for making it easier to understand