cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

exchange server policy type selection

uludag2806
Level 3

Hi Friends; I have confused about when we bacup exchange server why dont we use cumulative backup. There must be reason but i couldnt understand. please help me. 

7 REPLIES 7

eduncan
Level 5
Employee

Seems like false information:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.v14706935_nbu_exchange_web

Cumulative incremental backup

Includes the changes since the last full backup or differential incremental backup. (However, most configurations do not mix cumulative and differential incremental backups between full backups.) Exchange does not truncate the logs when the backup is completes. When a series of cumulative incremental backups follows a full backup, transaction logs remain intact since the last full backup.

For backups of databases, storage groups, or the entire Information Store, the backup only includes the transaction logs. For Exchange 2007, you also can use this schedule type to back up changes to the mailboxes or the Public Folders. Individual items cannot be restored for this type of backup if Enable granular recovery is enabled.

Consider an Exchange Server data recovery scenario where the transaction logs are all intact. You only need to restore the database from the last full backup and the last cumulative-incremental backup. During recovery, Exchange Server replays all the logs that are in the log folder.

yeah ı see this, thank you but generally no one use cumulative backup when they are backuping the exchange server 

and there must be a reason side of exchange server operation 

That is a personal choice by admins, more than likely because it saves on space for the daily incrementals.  The problem is at restore time, you need all the daily incrementals inbetween the last full.

so then ıncremental has a advantage because if ı want to restore something between fullbackup and dailys in incremental ı just have to find to which day ı wanna restore but on cumulative it takes long i think. am i right ?

Cumulative Includes the changes since the last full backup or differential incremental backup.

So if you are just doing Fulls and Cumulative for example, then you just have to restore the Last Full and Last Cumulative.

If you are only doing Full and Differential Backups, then you need to restore the last full and all differentials since the last full.  Meaning more restore jobs, possibility of more tapes.

Thanks for info eduncan :)