cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netbackup 8.0 compressed files owned by backup-service

Bruce_Clegg
Level 5

A few days ago I started getting disk space alerts on my netbackup 8.0 media server.

After some checking, I see that the culprit is a group of compressed files stored in /home/backup-service.  there are files going back a few months in the folder.  Most of them are ~ 122K.  But starting on Feb 5 - they went up in size to 820M.  The partition holding /home is only 9.8G - so this is a problem.

I  gunzip and untar one of the older smaller files and it seems to contain very little - a small file struscture with just a few files - including: /home/backup-service/storage/tftpboot/ftpusers/software-update/ib_network_automation-7.2.2.88861.gpg and it is 666K

If I gunzip and untar one of the newer large files - get the same file - but it is 820M!

Nothing stands out as any major additions or deletions to netbackup on or around Feb 5.  Current backups are successful.  I've done some small restores from tape since the Feb 5 and they worked great.

Can someone help me figure out what is going on and what I need to fix?  Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GeForce123
Level 5

What leads you to believe that these files are related to NetBackup?

Is it possible that this server was configured as a TFTP server? Perhaps files are being transfered to this location.

The ib_network_automation-7.2.2.88861.gpg file would be a Network Automation upgrade image.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

GeForce123
Level 5

What leads you to believe that these files are related to NetBackup?

Is it possible that this server was configured as a TFTP server? Perhaps files are being transfered to this location.

The ib_network_automation-7.2.2.88861.gpg file would be a Network Automation upgrade image.

My apologies - I assumed I was the only Admin with access to this box - someone else, without telling me configured another application to backup to this particular partition - and then turned up logging and filled my disk.  Guess I need to review who I give sudo rights to on this server.

Glad you were able to figure it out.

Now kick that admin off your box haha :)