cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

running out of hd space due to logs

manatee
Level 6

NBU 7.6.0.3, master/media on Oracle Linux 6.3

my root partition is only around 70GB is quickly running out of space. i checked the NBU logs and some directories go well over 1GB. can i simply nuke the contents of all those directories every day/week?

[root@master logs]# du -sh *
4.5M bmrd
4.0K bmrprep
4.0K bmrs
3.0G nbars
332K nbatd
23M nbaudit
4.3G nbdisco
6.9G nbemm
159M nbevtmgr
8.0K nbftclnt
358M nbim
907M nbjm
192K nbkms
230M nbpem
630M nbrb
348M nbrmms
724K nbrntd
1.1G nbsl
22G nbstserv
70M nbsvcmon
7.5M nbvault
4.0K ncfnbbrowse
[root@master logs]# pwd
/usr/openv/logs

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

use vxlogmgr to clean up log insted of deleting them manually.  This command will delete all logs created after 11/11/2016

# vxlogmgr --del -p 51216 -b '11/11/2016 12:00:00 PM'

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

use vxlogmgr to clean up log insted of deleting them manually.  This command will delete all logs created after 11/11/2016

# vxlogmgr --del -p 51216 -b '11/11/2016 12:00:00 PM'

X2
   VIP   

With only 70 GB of diskspace OP cannot safely have logs of value to support all the time. What I remember from various discussions with support is to keep logging to a minimum and (idealy) delete all log directories. However, I do keep some directoires (bpbkar, bptm, bpcd, etc.) while keep logging to a minimum. This atleast gives me "some" indication of what/where something went wrong - starting point of an investigation or a support ticket.

Once you have a support ticket open and they wants logs, they will always ask for verbose=5 logs. With verbosity at 5, my disk got used up by 25 GB in less than an hour when I was collecting logs for them! Hence, I can't keep verbosity at that level all the time (also save on compute and I/O).

So, if you are not having issues keep your logging to minimum and also remove unwanted directories. You can always create the directory when recreating an issue with detailed logs.

Unified logging cannot be disabled and log folders cannot be deleted.

You can turn down logging levels across the board or for individual processes eating up the space.

Use vxlogcfg. This old TN is still valid:
http://www.veritas.com/docs/000029520