cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using crontab to do 15-minute backups

manatee
Level 6

i already have a backup policy for SQL Server transaction logs that runs every hour. DBA requires every 15-minutes which the management console cannot provide.

can i, instead, trigger the existing backup policy using crontab? if yes,

1. what is the NBU command to do that?
  2. where is the location of the backup policy?

so basically the plan is i'll have shell script with all the NBU commands to initiate the existing backup policy and the cronjob will be set to run every 15 minutes.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

What version of NetBackup are you using? If it is less than NBU 7.7 can you upgrade to benefit from SQL Intelligent backup policies? If yes then you will have the ability to 15 minute backups for your t-logs.

Transaction-Log backup type has the following frequency options:

• minutes
  • hours
  • days
  • weeks

Be careful to ensure that each backup cycle has time to complete before the next starts.

This link will provide further information on SQL IP - http://www.veritas.com/docs/000078811

This will remove the need for a cronjob and keep everything in NBU.

Cheers,

J

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Your previous post to change the schedule via cmd is perfectly feasable - we have quite a number of customers and forum members doing this.

To use crontab, the best option will be for Oracle dba's to add the rman script to the relevant crontab on the Oracle server. 
You will see default-application jobs appearing in Activity Monitor without a parent job.

The other option is crontab on the master.
The command is 'bpbackup -i -p <policy> -s <schedule>'.
Use absolute path in crontab. 

You can find detailed info on bpbackup command usage in NetBackup Commands Reference Guide 

i tried that with "bpplschedrep" and got:

the specified policy does not exist in the configuration database

"bppllist" gives:

the specified policy does not exist in the configuration database (230)

although the policy is very much there in the GUI console. that's why i ventured into doing it via unix' crontab.

btw, this is not an Oracle backup policy. it's a SQL Server transaction log backup policy.

i will try from the master server that "bpbackup" command. but where are policies stored in a unix master server?

Are you using 'bppllist' on it's own or with options?

If the latter then the spelling of the policy name must match exactly the policy name that NetBackup has 'stored' (same with bpplschedrep & same for the schedule name)

Using bpplllist on its own without options should list all the policies that exist.

EDIT: just realised, this would've been better on your other post:

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/what-will-quot-bpplschedrep-quot-hit/m-p/816801#U816801

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bppllist Daily_Ruh1abcdb-Tlog -U

that's the actual backup policy name taken from existing policy.

Marianne
Level 6

Please run bppllist and save output in a text file : 
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bppllist > /tmp/policy.txt

Locate the policy in the output file and copy the policy name.
With a name like that it is easy to make a typo error.

PS:
Policies are stored on the master server in /usr/openv/netbackup/db/class folder.
Each policy name can be seen as a folder in this directory. 

What version of NetBackup are you using? If it is less than NBU 7.7 can you upgrade to benefit from SQL Intelligent backup policies? If yes then you will have the ability to 15 minute backups for your t-logs.

Transaction-Log backup type has the following frequency options:

• minutes
  • hours
  • days
  • weeks

Be careful to ensure that each backup cycle has time to complete before the next starts.

This link will provide further information on SQL IP - http://www.veritas.com/docs/000078811

This will remove the need for a cronjob and keep everything in NBU.

Cheers,

J

Genericus
   VIP   

Due to issues with RESTORING sql databases, we ended up moving off NB entirely.

Now we present some disks and let the sql dba make their TLOG backups and database backups to disks, they get 15 minute backups and restores.

IMHO, something NB has done poorly. ( SQL restores ) They take too long.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

just to get 15 minute intervals i have to upgrade?

Marianne
Level 6

To receive ongoing support from Veritas, you need to upgrade to 7.7.x some time soon.
ALL versions of NBU 7.x up to 7.6.0.x will reach EOSL in a couple of months.
See https://sort.veritas.com/eosl/show_matrix 

SQL IP with 15 min intervals will be a bonus.

can i just upgrade the master server? there are just far too many clients that's my problem.

Marianne
Level 6

You can upgrade the master as a start, but to use SQL IP, the client needs to be on 7.7.x as well. The media server(s) where the SQL clients will be backed up cannot be a lower NBU version. 

Schedule a staggered upgrade - 
Master first
Media servers next
Clients - start with the SQL servers.