Forum Discussion

Cat_Adams
Level 5
15 years ago

After converting file to vhd and pulling into Hyper-V; Blue screen of death on virtual machine when starting

I have BESR 8.5.  I have created image files of a server and then converted to a vhd files. Can create the new virtual machine in Hyper-v but when I start the virtual machine I get a blue screen of death (see below).  I have tried to only start with one of the hard drives since both were SCSI drives.  Please help as we are really wanting to use this product to do P2V's on other servers and bring them into the Hyper-V world.  The server is a Compaq Intel Pentimum II; Windows 2003 R2 Std. SP2; two drives C: 16.9GB and D: 67.3GB

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen,
restart your computer.  If this screen appears againm follow these steps.

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers.
Check you hard rive to make sure it is properly configered and terminated.
Run CHKDSK ?F to check for hard drive corruption, and  then restart you computer.

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF789EA98, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

2 Replies

• Has no one encountered this issue before...  ?   I am trying to get the Support people to assist me with this but I have been dealing with them since last Monday, 8-6-09.   This is production and I seem to not get anywhere with this...  Help...

• Haven't encountered that, but if I did I would try a second method in which you utilize "Restore Anywhere" to restore your BESR backup onto the "different hardware" of the virtual machine.
    1. Create your new, blank Hyper-V machine, for now set 1 processor.
    2. In it, mount the BESR SRD ISO file.
    3. If you have your BESR backup on a USB HDD, you'll need to dismount it from the virtual host machine so it can be exclusively available to the Hyper-V machine (process further below).
    4. Boot the virtual guest to BESR SRD and restore into the Hyper-V machine.
    To mount the USB HDD into the Hyper-V as a disk:
    1. In the Disk Managment of the virtual host, take the USB HDD offline.
    2. In Hyper-V server settings, select an IDE controller, select Hard Drive, Add.
    3. Select Physical hard disk, select the offline USB disk.
    4. Select OK or Apply.
    After restoring, you might need to touch the MBR to get it to boot.  To do this I mount the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows in the guest and run MBRFIX, to force a Windows Server 2003 MBR if the system isn't booting.