cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intern Perspectives: My summer in Professional Services at Veritas

SarahCrabtree
Level 1

In Spring of 2019, I was frantically searching for a summer marketing internship to gain some real-world experience and wasn’t having a ton of luck. I interviewed with a few different places, most of which consisted of phone interviews that lasted around 10 minutes. When I was given the opportunity to have a phone interview with Veritas, the resulting conversation shocked me; the interview lasted 30+ minutes, and my interviewer sought to understand my interest in the opportunity on a personal and professional level. I found myself relaxing as it felt less like an interview and more like a conversation with an old friend. Scott Kingsley eventually became my hiring manager!

Sarah Crabtree-2.jpg

On my second day at Veritas as a Professional Services Marketing Intern, I was introduced to Scott’s manager. Considering Veritas is a large company, I did not anticipate this—especially when I was just starting out! What continues to amaze me about this company is the genuine kindness from everyone, no matter their position in the company. While I would’ve expected to feel slightly intimidated and nervous to meet my boss’s boss, our interaction was far from nerve-wracking. I was fortunate enough to sit in on another meeting with her and Scott this past week and it was truly exciting to hear about her ideas and projects I could help with in the future. I was also fortunate to be a part of my manager’s weekly team call, which included Veritas employees in the United States, United Kingdom, and India. This opened my eyes to the true meaning of a global company and what a dedicated employee looks like.

Sarah Crabtree-1.jpg

During my internship, I was primarily working on projects for my managers—a remote employee in Tampa, a vendor in Colorado, and a Veritas employee in Los Angeles. This meant I was not directly reporting to anyone who resided in the HRO office. This particular aspect of my internship taught me true integrity and has further enhanced my self-discipline; outside of the phone calls I had about the progress of my projects, I was pretty much on my own. I had to remind myself of my goals and focus on staying on task.

One of my internship projects included video editing via Adobe PremierePro. Prior to this internship, I had zero exposure to Adobe products. When I was given my first audio and video files to sync together, I wanted to figure it out entirely on my own. I spent about 6 hours editing the first 30 seconds of a video. When I finally caved and asked a question, the solution to my problem was ridiculously clear and I was embarrassed. What took me 6 hours to do with my first video edit took me about 30-45 minutes for future projects—and that was to edit an entire video, not just the first 30 seconds! That experience taught me the importance of not hesitating to ask questions. Had I not been so stubborn about asking a question in the first place, I could’ve been so much more productive that day. I no longer hesitate to reach out if I need assistance, as I constantly remind myself that this internship is meant to be a learning process and that I’m not expected to already know how to do everything.

Sarah Crabtree-3.jpgLooking back on my experience, the best parts of this internship were the people and the positive atmosphere. Connecting with the other Veritas interns and employees was an invaluable part of this experience and I am thankful for the relationships I’ve made. I can’t stress enough how important it is for a company to make their interns feel valued. The people I got to work with genuinely wanted my opinion on things that most companies wouldn’t bother asking an intern about. For that, I am eternally grateful. I can't wait to see what else I can do for and learn from this company as my internship continues!

0 REPLIES 0