Forum Discussion

10 years ago

Agent on Debian VM (VCenter)

Hi,

I am trying to take the backup of Vcenter which has many Debian VM machines.

I am wondering if someone is taking backup of Debian 6.0.10 Linux server.local.lan 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Tue May 13 16:34:35 UTC 2014 x86_64 GNU/Linux via symantec backup appliance 3600 R2  ? if you could answer the following questions ?

• Is the backup supporting GRT and have you tried restore the individual files ?
  • The SCL says "Debian does not support snapshot capabilities" however when I take the backup VCenter takes the snapshot. Any ideas what is this snapshot capabilities are ?
  • Is it necessary to have Root password authentication for the Linux ?I guess this password authentication is for GRT, isn't? . Actually I have disabled password authentication and only have key based authentication.

Lastly, what if I only want to take the backup of VMDK file, wanting to restore the full machine and don't need the capability of restoring individual files, would I still be requiring agent installation on debian and root authentication thing ?

Thanks in Advance !

• * GRT for non-windows VMs isn't supported when using the VMware agent. However, using the Remote Agent for Linux, you can backup the VM as a physical machine and also restore individual files/folders.

* The snapshot capability is being referred to when using the Remote Agent for Linux. In that case, Advanced Open File option is to be deselected.

* Preferably root yes (requires superuser privileges for backup/restore of Linux machines)

* As GRT isn't supported, you can backup the Linux VM without installing the remote agent on it. However, ESX or vCenter credentials which have access to the Linux VM is required.

1 Reply

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • * GRT for non-windows VMs isn't supported when using the VMware agent. However, using the Remote Agent for Linux, you can backup the VM as a physical machine and also restore individual files/folders.

* The snapshot capability is being referred to when using the Remote Agent for Linux. In that case, Advanced Open File option is to be deselected.

* Preferably root yes (requires superuser privileges for backup/restore of Linux machines)

* As GRT isn't supported, you can backup the Linux VM without installing the remote agent on it. However, ESX or vCenter credentials which have access to the Linux VM is required.