Forum Discussion

Inbay
Level 4
13 years ago

Maintenance contract renewal

Hi All 

we received the following on one of our client servers.This server runs on Microsoft Small Business server 2008 .

(Server: "server name") Some Backup Exec maintenance contracts are set to expire in the next 90 days. If your maintenance contracts expire, your entitlement to phone support also expires, and software upgrades are no longer automatically sent.

Call your preferred reseller, or click (URL)

Maintenance contracts for the following features are expiring soon:

Small Business Server Edition (Premium)

1.What are the real advantages of renewing this contract?To be honest we never had to contact symantec for support so i m not sure if my client would get any real benefit from renewing this contract.

2.Will this effect the live update feature? eg:if this is not renewed updates will not be offered etc. 

Many thnaks

Dhanushka

• Hi,

The benefit is that if you ever need support, you will get it. You're also not breaking any licensing terms you agreed too when the application was installed.

LiveUpdate won't be affected, but you will get no help from Symantec if you ever needed it. It's the same as not renewing licenses for Microsoft every year for instance. They won't know you haven't until you need help. I have heard of software companies penalising you for using their software and not licensing it as per agreement, but whether or not Symantec does that is another story.

Thanks!

• The most important thing about having a current maintenance contract then you can upgrade to the latest release free.  Otherwise you would have to pay for your upgrade.

3 Replies

• Hi,

The benefit is that if you ever need support, you will get it. You're also not breaking any licensing terms you agreed too when the application was installed.

LiveUpdate won't be affected, but you will get no help from Symantec if you ever needed it. It's the same as not renewing licenses for Microsoft every year for instance. They won't know you haven't until you need help. I have heard of software companies penalising you for using their software and not licensing it as per agreement, but whether or not Symantec does that is another story.

Thanks!

• The most important thing about having a current maintenance contract then you can upgrade to the latest release free.  Otherwise you would have to pay for your upgrade.

• Thank you both for your prompt responce s and clarifying my doubts.

Will have a discussion with my client and see their opinion on this.

We as a consultant would always like to maintain/renew these contracts but sometimes the clients do not see any financial values no matter how much we try to explain them the benifits.

Thanks again

Dhanushka