Forum Discussion

Leo_
Level 5
13 years ago

Cannot archive using "Run Now" with EV 9

I am using EV 9.0.2 for Exchange 2007. I am having trouble archiving using "Run Now". I used EVPM to set a mailbox to zero day archiving i.e.: archive all email in the mailbox, delete the original an...
    13 years ago

OK the reason is because the \Inbox has already had EVPM run against it

Folder Policy Settings for [Inbox]|  Filter Type = Using policy set on current folder

Your EVPM script to set the 0 days is applying it against the Mailbox Root, and it simply places a filter message there and any folders underneath that do not have a filter already applied, will keep going up the folder structure until it finds one

so for instance lets you have

\Inbox
    \Inbox\Folder1\
    \Inbox\Folder1\Folder2

If i apply an EVPM script against \Inbox\Folder1\ and then I archive something in \Inbox\Folder1\Folder2
    First thing EV will do is check to see if a filter (EVPM) exists on \Folder2, it will return no, it hasn't, so then it checks the parent folder, and checks for a filter.

It will keep checking for filters until it gets to the root, if the root (Top Of Information Store) has no filter either, then it will simply take all the default archive settings assigned to it based on the regular EV archiving policies

In this case though, it will look at \Folder2\ then say no, no filter exists
    it will then go to \Folder1 and say Yes a folder *does* exist, and then use \Folder1's settings

This also allows for different things such as

\Inbox <-- set to 30 days via a filter
    \Inbox\Folder1\ <--- set to Do Not Archive

If EV then looks at \Inbox\Folder1\Folder2 that doesn't have a filter, it will pick up on \Folder1's Do Not Archive Rule and not \Inbox's 30 day rule

So how this applies to you is you have  Mailbox Root set to 0 days, but you have \Inbox already set to 30 days, so the inbox filter will remain, you will have to zap the mailbox and reapply the EVPM