Forum Discussion

15 years ago

issue with MSCS

Hi All

I have an issue with Microsoft Clustering and EV8 SP3.

My environment is as follows:
Active/Passive EV FSA server 2 node cluster, and targetting Celerra for the FSA targets.

So on my EV boxes I  need to install the FSA Agent and then run thru the FSA Cluster config to create my cluster resource. Done that and my resource is created.

So now the problem.....

My FSA resource will bring up the 3 services fine, however when choosing to take the FSA resource offline it changes the resource from Online to Offline instantly and looking in the Services console the 3 FSA services (placeholder, collector and blocking) remain running. This impacts me as when I move my group to the passive node I cannot shut down the Admin service (placeholder stays running so directory cant shut down).
Things of note are that my FSA resource does not have any dependencies other than the MSMQ, Data and IIS disks, so no mention of Admin or directory resource, this is odd as I know the placeholder needs these resources. Of course in the event of a total failure (like a reboot) the failover is perfect.

I have removed the agent and resource and reinstalled and recreated the resource still same issue.

There are no errors in eventlogs and a placeholder dtrace contains nothing of value.

Appreciate your thoughts
  • Hi Josh,

I have a workaround for this issue, but bear in-mind that it may not be suitable for your customer.  Here's what I do;

1.  On the Dependencies tab of the "<ServerName> Enterprise Vault FSA" resource, include the "Enterprise Vault Directory Service".  This is important when the resource tries to come online (so it doesn't fail).

2.  Create a batch file (i.e. stopFSAservices.bat) on your c drive with the following line;
    net stop "Enterprise Vault File Placeholder Service"

3.  Create an event trigger on your EV cluster which responds to an attempted failover (as follows);

eventtriggers /create /l System /eid 1203 /t INFORMATION /tr TriggerName /ru evserviceaccount@yourdomain.com /rp password /tk "c:\stopFSAservices.bat"

NOTE:
    You will have to do this on both cluster nodes!

Hope that helps with the issue?

BZ

16 Replies