Forum Discussion

c-3po
Level 3
12 years ago

Windows Search Issues

Hello, I have some issues with EV and Windows Search. First of all my client is 64-bit Win 7, 32-bit Office 2010 and EV client says 1.0.0.1316 in Outlook. I am not sure what is running on server side, corporate IT maintains that. They say my experience is a known issue with EV and they hope it would be fixed in coming service packs. I wonder if it is however some configuration or installation issue.

So, my vault is part of indexing and Windows Search as well as Outlook's own search find items from index but clearly it includes only the metadata part since I do not get hits on attachments at all or words in large emails which are past the 120 (or something like that) word limit. Furthermore, even if I find an email with this method I cannot open the mail from the search results. Hourglass displays for a brief moment and then nothing. Search hits from mailbox or pst files open just fine. If I use the special "Search Vaults" feature I can find items but that is too clumsy for everyday use because it searches only the vault.

Some items from the ev_client_log which might be relevant:

[EV WDS plugin disabled - 64 bit OS and 32 bit Outlook not supported]

SERVERVERSION = 10.00

The indexing operation performed by the WDS protocol handler failed: 0x80040154

• <snip>

Enterprise Vault Client 10.0.0.1316.0 (HTTP)

</snip>

This from your client trace is the EV 10.0 client, ie not one of the service packs.

I also get the same message about WDS being disabled.

I have just tried the 10.0.2 client, to see if that makes any difference.

And I no longer get the message in the client log file.

To be honest I think (vaguely recalling some months ago before I left Symantec).  This a timing-collision type of thing.  The release of EV 10 overlapped with some of the EV 9 work, meaning that the base release of EV 10 lacked some functionality that was then added to EV 9.  That missing functionality was caught-back-up-with in EV 10.0.1. I think.

So .. the fix?  Use the 10.0.2 client.  I think you'll see that Windows Search even with mixed bit-ness is going to be okay now.  Give it a try in a controlled environment -  I have run out of time on mine. 

Outlook Instant Search though will still only search the Virtual Vault 'meta data', not the full item.

[Bear in mind that sometimes a rebuild of the WDS index is needed, and/or a few Outlook restarts....]

13 Replies