Forum Discussion

rfmonteiro
Level 3
9 years ago

How to migrate backups between MSDP's

Hello people.
I have a domain with two MSDP but a MSDP this with 89% in use and another 35% in use and I have backups with one-year retention.
In this case, I wonder what is the best practice to migrate a backup between MSDP?
I need to reduce a use the first MSDP !

• Hi,

Unofortunately its not as simple as just expiring images. Since deduplication happens on the container/pool the data you expire might be locked up by other images as its all interlinked.

Try to move quite a large chunk of the data set to the other MSDP. duplicate it and then expire, and then wait for cleanup to happen.

Sorry can't give a you a definitive fix for this.

3 Replies

• Hi,

First thing would be to move the / some policies to the new MSDP. After that you could duplicate the images from the first to the second MSDP (using bpduplicate or GUI Catalog section).

HTH

• Hi,

Unofortunately its not as simple as just expiring images. Since deduplication happens on the container/pool the data you expire might be locked up by other images as its all interlinked.

Try to move quite a large chunk of the data set to the other MSDP. duplicate it and then expire, and then wait for cleanup to happen.

Sorry can't give a you a definitive fix for this.