Forum Discussion

florin_s
Level 4
11 years ago

Netbackup SLP activity monitor

Hello,

is there a way to check the status of an SLP that is in progress?

i would like to know stuff like %completion time, GB transferred, current kb/s.

are there some best practices/tuning tips to improve performance of optimize deduplication between remote 5230 appliance and datacenter appliance (5230) over slow WAN links?

is there a way to calculate possible throughput?

thank you,

florin

• When a backup finishes, the duplication will not neccessarly start straight away, there are a number of paramters which will control these

DUPLICATION_SESSION_INTERVAL_MINUTES = 15
    MAX_MINUTES_TIL_FORCE_SMALL_DUPLICATION_JOB = 30
    MIN_GB_SIZE_PER_DUPLICATION_JOB = 8

but when the duplications does start you should see a job appear in the activity log of the NBU GUI with a job type duplication and the policy name bing the SLP name.

Do you not see thiese jobs?

The % completion does not seem to update very well but the kilobytes written does update through out the job.

the previous "nbstlutil list -image_incomplete -U" will tell those outstanding SLP. 

Just tested it and this is what I saw.

6 Replies

• Apart from nbstlutil to show the state of images there is little within NetBackup itself to do this

However there is an SLP backlog report built into OpsCenter now and that probably gives you as much information as you will find anywhere else

There are few tips here : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH204574

Best practices for SLP may also help : http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73205

Best practice for SLP and AIR: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH153154

Hope this helps

• You can check the duplication speed at bpdm log. You can find duplication speed here:

grep -i " successfully read (duplicate)" /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpdm/log.112213

12:51:14.337 [14603] <4> read_data: successfully read (duplicate) backup id ***********, copy 1, fragment 1, 25600000 Kbytes at 47090.073 Kbytes/sec
    12:55:52.953 [14603] <4> read_data: successfully read (duplicate) backup id ***********, copy 1, fragment 2, 21785504 Kbytes at 82922.899 Kbytes/sec

• Adduming you are not using AIR then when the initial backup is completed the SLP will schedule the next copy whe it can. These are not scheduled by the PEM but the nbstserv daemon but they are never the less jons so if they are running you should see active duplication jobs in the activity monitor and you can veiw them as any other job for progress.

The check which SLP have not completed you can use the following command:

nbstlutil stlilist -image_incomplete

hope this helps

• hi,

"should see active duplication jobs in the activity monitor and you can veiw them as any other job for progress."

it would be great if i could see SLP jobs like any other job.... that's actually my problem that i can't...

you do no see any kind of progress in the activity monitor like % complete, kb/min, transferred kb, dedupe ratio... nothing until the jobs is finished.

florin

• With

nbstlutil report

you can see a brief report of what is still pending to duplicate.

• When a backup finishes, the duplication will not neccessarly start straight away, there are a number of paramters which will control these

DUPLICATION_SESSION_INTERVAL_MINUTES = 15
    MAX_MINUTES_TIL_FORCE_SMALL_DUPLICATION_JOB = 30
    MIN_GB_SIZE_PER_DUPLICATION_JOB = 8

but when the duplications does start you should see a job appear in the activity log of the NBU GUI with a job type duplication and the policy name bing the SLP name.

Do you not see thiese jobs?

The % completion does not seem to update very well but the kilobytes written does update through out the job.

the previous "nbstlutil list -image_incomplete -U" will tell those outstanding SLP. 

Just tested it and this is what I saw.