cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0xa000821e Library error - incompatible storage media detected Exec 9.1

Lyall_Dilkes
Level 3
0xa000821e - Library error - incompatible storage media detected in robotic library. I keep getting this error in Backup Exec 9.1. The only tape operation I can successfully complete is an eject. Sometimes even an eject fails with the same error. Can somebody please help me, It just started happening. I have build 4691 installed.
5 REPLIES 5

Lyall_Dilkes
Level 3
Sorry, extra information is that I'm running veritas on Windows 2000 server with service pack 4. The computer is a P4 2.4Ghz and 1GB of RAM. The computer also has SUS server, HP deskjet 1220c installed. SP1 has also been installed for this version.

Ameet_Thakkar
Level 6
In order to troubleshoot the problem, kindly carry out the following steps.

1) Changing the medium changers present SCSI target ID 6 to one of the SCSI IDs 2-5 may resolve the issue.

Explanation:

The SCSI target ID 6 is reserved for automatic configuration of SCSI devices (through plug & play SCSI a.k.a. SCAM). This a system which offers automatic assigning of SCSI IDs to devices, without user intervention.

This system is, however, not supported by all hardware manufacturers.

The general recommended SCSI IDs for tape drives are 2,3,4,5.
IDs 0 & 1 should be reserved for bootable devices such as hard disks.

After changing the SCSI ID re-initialize the robotic library,to perform reinitialization follow the steps below:

- Power cycle tape library and the server (reboot)

- Perform inventory of each slots separately.
------------------------------------------
As an additional information please refer to the following steps.

a) Title:- The error "0xA000821 - Library Error - incompatible storage media detected in robotic library" occurs when an inventory is run against the robotic library.
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/258269.htm

b) Title:- When using multiple drives with multiple media types in some StorageTek libraries, the error "Incompatible storage media detected" can occur.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/270283.htm

We hope this helps. Let us know if the problem still exists and revert back with the error message.

Dipti_Chinchole
Level 6
Please update us on the status of the issue.

Lyall_Dilkes
Level 3
Thanks for the response, my tape drive is an AIT-1 IDE drive a sony SDX-420c firmware 0103, serial 8500261. Therefore i don't think I can change the SCSI ID. I'm not using bar code rules so 258269 should be irrelevant. I noticed that when I reset my computer, the backups work fine once. Then this same error crops up again. therefore as a work around I'm reseting my server every night. I'm only using a standard tape drive with 35gb AIT-1 tapes and 25gb AIT-1 tapes. Surely I shouldn't have to purchase another upgrade for my backups to work properly(in reference to 270283)? Please help

Rohit_Sonawale
Level 6
Certified
Please refer to the following technote :

http://support.veritas.com/docs/245418

Advice the result.