cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10.0 Insert Overwritable Media Loop - - There are 22 overwritable tapes!

Mike_Huffenberg
Level 3
Using BE 10.0 with all updates running on a Windows 2003 Enterprise server.

Hardware is Dell Powervault 136T with 2 LTO 1 tape drives (1 disabled, only licensed for 1 as of now).

4 Media Sets:
1) Week 1 Full : 7 tapes
2) Week 2 Full : 7 tapes
3) Week 1 Differentials : 4 tapes
4) Week 2 Differentials : 4 tapes

All media sets have Inifinite Append and 1 Hour Overwrite Protection (was 26 weeks, but set back after this issue arose). All tapes indicate inifite append and overwritable.

Ran 1 Full Backup job and all went as expected.

Next day, the scheduled Differentials job kept asking for Overwritable Media to be inserted/imported. All tapes in the Media Sets indicated they were appendable. The policy behind the job specifies to append to media and overwrite if no appendable media exists.

I changed the 26 week overwrite protection on all media sets to be 1 hour so they would be overwritable...Not what I really want but I need these to get going!

No Luck! Keeps asking for overwritable media to be imported into the library. After a little research decided to re-inventory all tapes and then did a re-catalog of all tapes.

No Luck! Seems to be stuck in a loop. Any suggestions?

(Old server was BE 9.1 with a smaller Seagate Viper library. Worked like a champ.)
3 REPLIES 3

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,

- We would like to know your exact Media Set settings
- Settings under Tools ->Options -> Media mangement.

- Put all the tapes, of which data can be overwritten, under the scratch media pool and then try the backup.

Let us know if that helps

Thanks
Regards

Mike_Huffenberg
Level 3
The Options -> Media Management settings are:
Media Management
Media overwrite protection level
Partial - protect only allocated media
Prompt before overwriting imported media (check box ON)

Media Overwrite options
Overwrite recyclable media contained in the targeted media set
before overwriting scratch media

Media label configuration
Media type
LTO
Prefix
PRG
Next value
Digits

Backup-to-Disk default folder location
(blank)

Tried the job again with the media moved to the Scratch Media set. The result is the same.

Mike_Huffenberg
Level 3
Think I figured it out! The library bar-code rules were enabled. Although the library tools show the correct labels for the tapes, in BE they have the L1 at the end and the checksum. These trailing characters apparently do not correspond to any tape type...

I also ran Label Media jobs on each blank tape.

Then I tried the job again and it ran. Don't know how the bar-code rules became enabled between the first job and the second...