cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10.1 and 10.0 Compatibility & Licensing question

Sean_Doyle
Level 2
I have several existing Backup Exec 10.0 Servers (win2k servers) and a new file server/DC running 10d (10.1). One of the 10.0 servers is an Exchange 2000 Server and a DC and we have the Backup Exec Exchange server add-on for that server. It works fine by itself. All servers are working fine independently (i.e. backing up to their own tape drives) but the new server (BE 10.1) refuses to communicate with or backup any data from the Exchange server (BE 10.0). I might not be surprised if an older version of BE was unable to control a newer Remote Agent but why can I not control a *slightly* older version of Remote Agent from a newer BE Media Server? This is technically possible right?

I would simply like to run a weekly full backup of several servers on the network using this new server which has a very large tape drive (LTO2), and depending on how quick it goes I may start using the new server to handle all daily backups of all servers.

I poked around the forums and found some solutions (updating BE Remote Agent, etc.) but none of them worked. It seems I need a License key to push the 10.1 remote agent onto the 10.0 server...? Do I really have to buy ANOTHER license when I just purchased the full version 10.0 BE License 6 months ago? do I ask too many questions?

TIA,
Sean
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I may be misunderstanding something here

Are you talking about v10 media servers that you want to backup wioth v10d, or is t just that the servers are running the v10.0 RemoteAgent?

If they are media servers, you cannot back them up from another media server.

if they are just running RemoteAgents, the RAWS needs to be the same version as the media server attaching to them, to meet Veritas/Symantec licensing criteria.

a v10d media server SHOULD be able to connect to a v10.0 RAWS, but the SCL http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/278254.htm specifically says this is "for the purpose of rolling upgrades"

Sean_Doyle
Level 2
Thanks for the link, I was looking for something like that. :)

Yes, I want to backup data stored on v10.0 media servers (or at least the one exchange server) to the tape drive on a v10d media server. Since they are full installs of v10.0 they have v 10.0 RAWS running.

So... If I understand that doc correctly, I must purchase 10d RAWS license(s) to do what I want to do and install 10d RAWS to the 10.0 BE servers or upgrade them to 10d? Or is that even possbile/recommended?

Kinda sounds like it would be easier to downgrade the new server v10.0 so I could backup any server's data from any server...? but will my license for 10d work for 10.0?

This is a trivial thing to do with ArcServe so I just assumed it was such with Veritas BE as well and was hoping that my problem was technical in nature. Considering the cost of this product and the fact that this was purchased barely 6 months after the other was and that both are full versions i'm getting a bit distressed (under-statement).

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Again, you cannot backup one media server from another media server.

I guess you could try shutting down all BackupExec services on the target server except the Remote Agent service, but as long as the rest of the services are running, you won't be able to connect

(At least that's the way that it used to work, I haven't even tried under v10/10d)

Sean_Doyle
Level 2
Thanks Ken, you've been very helpful. I work more often with ArcServe and this is a trivial thing to do with ArcServe but apparently not with Veritas.

Thanks again,
Sean