cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11-12GB backup rolling over to two tapes (v8.60)

charliet
Level 2
Hi,

I have a client with a Dell 4MM tape drive, using 20/40GB tapes. We have been running full nightly backups, switching the tape every day, and I had set up the jobs and the media sets to have no overwrite protection.

Our objective was to make it as foolproof for the users as possible, where they could just stick in the current day's tape and be done with it, but occasionally (and increasingly so), they've come in in the morning to be greeted with a request to put another tape in the drive, with the result that the backup continues during the workday and certain files end up not getting backed up.

Is there a way to tell the software to overwrite from the beginning of the tape every time the job runs, so we get the full capacity of the tape for every backup?

Thanks for your help.

Charlie T.
2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Specify the job as Overwrite only, not Append, Else ovewrite.

Verify that the Overwrite Protection Period for the media set(s) being used is set so that the tapes wil have expired when they are due to be re-used. (For a tape used every day on the same day, I generally use 5 days)

charliet
Level 2
Hi, thanks.

I had set the media to Overwrite, but I missed the place on the job definition where you specify. I expect it'll run smoothly from now on.

Thanks again.

Charlie T.