cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11D Stability versus 10D?

Brian_Pavnick_2
Level 3
We have had nothing but issues with 10D, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if 11D runs any better? The most common issues we typically encounter are:

- Policies/selection lists/jobs becoming corrupt
- Backup engine failing everyone now and then
- Backup jobs not fireing off (have to delete the entire policy to resolve and no way to report that there is an issue)
- Issues when/if media servers lose connectivity with the central server (have to restart services on all backup media server... in some cases you have to log into each server and kill the bengine.exe and bserver.exe processes).  

These issues require us to constantly baby the backup software, it can never be trusted. We are thinking about moving to Netbackup, but who knows if that is any more stabler?

Please note, our Central Backup Server has over 400+ jobs it has to manage. Not all that much in my opinion. But, perhaps our environment has outgrown BE?

Any feedback would be most appreciated!

Thanks!
1 REPLY 1

Rob_Swift
Level 3
We just installed 11d a week ago and it appears stable thus far, but I do not have has many individual jobs as you.  We believe we found one problem that was causing backup exec jobs to fail in our environment -- this particular media server is installed on a virtual server/cluster environment with numerous other servers.  When the virtual server hosting backup exec was in the process of migrating within the cluster we frequently had errors with backup exec jobs that were running at the time.  We changed some of the virtual parameters to try to reduce the migration occurrences (we had over allocated CPU and RAM to some servers).  Basically the migration was causing a timeout in Backup Exec, however the errors were not always the same message.  Since the configuration changes, things appear more stable.  Note that we saw the instability in both 10d and 11d, but we don't think the issue was with BE at all.