cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11D trial does not flush Exchange logs.

Chris_Wallace
Level 3
Guys,

When running Backup Exec 11D trial, I find that my exchange logs are not being flushed.

Is this supposed to happen?

Chris
18 REPLIES 18

Jamie_Tatum
Level 4
What sort of Exchange backup are you running? Does the job complete successfully?

David_Woodcock
Level 4
Firstly, there's not difference between the Trial and the Serialised version.

Secondly, bounce the Exchange server, then try a backup of it again.

The agent in 11d regularly crash Exchange 2003 and though they recover, they don't recover properly.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Chris,

Could you Update us on the Issue?

Thanks
Regards

Chris_Wallace
Level 3
Sorry,

I was just waiting for a full backup to run as I had to reboot the backup server.

The logs are still not being flushed. I will try a reboot of both the backup server and the Ex server tonight before the backups run to see if that sorts the prob.

BTW, I'm not getting emails from the server when these posts get updated. Any way to enable that?

Chris_Wallace
Level 3
Also, I am running a 'Full - Database & Logs (flush commited logs)' backup of exchange.

Jeff_Zankofsky
Level 5
Employee
Have you tried NTbackup? I've seen times when NTbackup seems to clear up the problem the BE is having.. BE doesn't flush the logs itself, it pretty much tells Exch to flush the logs after it does its backup. So if anything, it may tell you if something's wrong with Exch.

Chris_Wallace
Level 3
Doing some more research on the web, I discovered that the ex database and log files were being scanned by the host AV solution. I have excluded these from the on access scan and started a backup with NT backup to see if they will get flushed.

Once they are flushed, I will keep any eye on BackupExec to see if they get flushed during the normal backup procedure.

Chris_Wallace
Level 3
Finally managed to get the logs flushed (35GB of them) by running a manual backup of the exchange stores.

I will see what happens tonight whe our backup runs to see if the logs get flushed.

Chris_Wallace
Level 3
The backup has run succesfully both last night and the night before, but the exchange stores are saying that the last successful backups were 2 days ago and the earliest log files are from 2 days ago.

What's going wrong?

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee
When Exchange database backups are done, there are 'ESE' sourced application events created with each step depending on how the backup is done. Check through these for anything out of the ordinary. Depending on whether you are doing an API or VSS backup, the events will show up differently. Along that same line, if you have been doing VSS backups try switching over to API backups (in the job setup, deselect the 'Use Advanced Open File Option' box in the 'Advanced Open File' screen of the job properties). If you haven't been using VSS, try the backup that way... The key is that there should be ESE events for either type backup that should show what is/isn't happening.

Russ

Chris_Wallace
Level 3
Is it possible to disable the AOFO on the exchange stores only? I can only see settings for the jobs, not each selection in the jobs.

I will need to wait until after tonights backup as any ESE events associated with the backups have been overwritten already.

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
hi Chris,

How exactly are you selecting these mail stores?

Are you selecting "Mailboxes", "Shadow Copy Components" or "Information Store"?

Only the last of these is equivalent to a NTBACKUP, and therefore, likely what you seek.

James_Rudley
Level 3
BE11 is screwy with exchange. I am going to assume you have mailboxes shown (legacy backup option selected) to backup mailboxes? Just try backing up the Information Store. BE wouldn't complete the job as the service account opened up over 300 messages in a users mailbox. This may o rmay not help, but is worth a try!

Chris_Wallace
Level 3
I am backing up the Information Store, as well as the Shadow Copy Components, but I am not doing a brick level backup.

Whilst I can see the mailboxes, and the backup service account has been setup to allow mailbox level backups, I don't backup mailboxes as the performance is rubbish and you can restore mailboxes in other manners.

Alex_MC
Not applicable
Just to add to the mix, I am also having the same issue.  The backups have everything selected including having the optional 'Enable the restore of individual mail messages and folders from Information Store backups'.

Not sure about Chris' issue with brick level, but we get everything backuped up pretty darn quickly, just no flushing of the logs...

Even gone through the wizard - no good, the logs are still there (64Gb and rising).

Deniz_Miscioglu
Level 2
Hi All,
I am having the same problem, exchange 2003 logs are not flushed. Have you found the reason for this problem yet?

Many thanks
Deniz

D_B_5
Level 6
Employee
Without rereading the entire thread, did you make sure you have selected everythign in the storage group by making your selection in the left window of the backup job properties screen?  If you make you selections in the right side window, even if you select everything by clicking each item, the backup will treat it as an individual backup of each item.  Since transaction logs are shared, you need to back up the entire Storage Group by selecting the storage group resource itself in the left pane.

Most likely that is what is going on.  Exchange will not purge the logs until it believes the whole storage group has been backed up entirely.

Deniz_Miscioglu
Level 2
Problem solved, if you are still having the same problem, please see

https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=115&message.id=13122

Deniz