cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11d - Backup job hangs on status "pre-processing"

JFerreira
Level 3
This is a new behavior for an old job which has successfully been running for quite some time.  Media Server is running 11d.7170 with SP2 and hotfixes through 46.  The job is a full backup of DBs on a SQL 2000 server running disk to disk to our backup storage SAN.  AOFO is not enabled.  Recently, the server farm was moved from one location to another.  All other backups are succeeding, just the SQL DB backup is failing - note that the job which captures the master and msdb files is succeeding...

- I have verified that the media server and SQL server can ping each other and I can open the admin shares from each using UNC.
- I have restarted services for both the RAWS and the media server
- RAWS has been reinstalled on the SQL server
- I have deleted and recreated the Selection List and Job for this backup

I'm stuck.  I've spent half of today browsing the forums and googling for anyone with a similar issue.  I've seen resolutions for Domino servers, Exchange servers and many other products which do not meet the same criteria.  Any help is greatly appreciated!
6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Do you have SQL Admin installed on the media server?

if so, can you connect to and open the user DBs on the SQL server when logged on as the BackupExec service account?

Any entries in the Event log of either server that may apply?

JFerreira
Level 3
Hi Ken,

SQL Admin is not installed on the media server, so I will not immediately be able to check that information.  The event ID that I'm seeing in the media server logs concerning backup exec is ID: 34113 with the text:

"Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "EUDMBACKUP") (Job: "eFleet2 DBs, Daily") eFleet2 DBs, Daily -- The job failed with the following error: A communications failure has occurred."

I don't see anything in either App or System logs on the SQL server which may pertain to BUE.

Is there any other information I can supply to you?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Go to the product support page at

enter 'SQL A communications failure has occurred" as the search string, after the first results screen comes up, filter for v11

You should get 5 hits

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Go to the product support page at

enter "SQL  A communications failure has occurred" as the search string, after the first results screen comes up, filter for v11

You should get 5 hits

JFerreira
Level 3
Thanks for the help, Ken, but I couldn't find anything in the articles returned that truly apply to this situation.  I'm going to keep digging, call the support line, and maybe something will surface.  If you have any more suggestions, I'm happy to try them out!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Can''t think if anything else

FWIW -
For non-database applications, if you have "progress indicators" turned on, then pre-processing normally means that backupexec  is scanning all the selected shares\resources and compiling a Total Bytes number so it can compare current bytes backed up and generate the graphic and text for "% completed"