cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete after making copies in Oracle Archive Logs backup

rafanto
Level 5

Hello,

Please help with this query, we have an Oracle RAC environment (two nodes) replicated to a remote site through DataGuard, the query is:

In the OIP, in the Oracle tab, we can activate the option in the backups of the Archive Logs "Delete after making copies", if we enable this option, after 3 satisfactory backups, NetBackup performs a cross-check and validates that the archive logs have they already been applied to the remote site before to remove them?

Regards!

Rafael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

yes it is validated, but not NetBackup, it is Oracle RMAN performing this crosscheck. If the archive logs are needed by DataGuard, their deletion will fail with the warning:

RMAN-08137: WARNING: Archived Log Not Deleted, Needed For Standby Or Upstream Capture Process

Regards

Michal

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

kiyan
Level 5

I am not an expert in Oracle but as far as I know ,whatever configuration you see under Oracle Tab is basically options that you enable in the script (which is used by RMAN).
so by saying delete after making copies 3,we are telling RMAN to not delete the logs until it has a record of them being backed up at least 3  times.it is RMAN duty to check the Redo logs and to find out which logs needed to be deleted from Oracle node(s) according to the script and commands which is being run.

I hope someone with expertise in Oracle will read this and provide more information (and correct me if I am missing something as well) for you.

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

yes it is validated, but not NetBackup, it is Oracle RMAN performing this crosscheck. If the archive logs are needed by DataGuard, their deletion will fail with the warning:

RMAN-08137: WARNING: Archived Log Not Deleted, Needed For Standby Or Upstream Capture Process

Regards

Michal

OK thank you! We're going to check this.