cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11d CPS doesn't use low badwidth well

Roger_Sager
Level 4
Hi folks...
I have been trailing 11d of CPS for several months. We have 4 remote (source) Windows 2003 file servers, typically storing word, excel, power point (ppt) files as well as mail *.pst's. etc, etc. Our bandwidth (BW) to these remote servers is 256 Kbps max. When monitoring a specific job that has no BW set, and running it continously (Whenever a file changes)...it take days to sync...then once it sync's the run stage is set to Dynamic. I have connected remotely to the source and copied a 7 MB ppt file into a directory (that has been selected for protection by the CPS server) on the source remote server. I watched the Monitor Pair for over an hour but the ppt file was never replicated up to the target (CPS Server)? So what ever it is doing in the Dynamic mode is unknown. I restarted the remote services, but nothing seems to change.
Another observation...when the CPS Server is sync'ing to a remote server (like when the job is first started) the path as display in the "Current file or folder" doesn't seem to change for hours? I think it fixes on a path and never changes until the source and target are fully synced.
The developers really need to fix these issue. The transfer rates and total transferred continue to changes, but not the path. So it doesn't really appear to be doing anything.
Cheers...Roger
2 REPLIES 2

perry_baker
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Roger,

After you copied the ppt file to the source server did you look in the Backup Destination folder to see if it was present? The file transfer could, possibly, have already completed by the time you looked at the job. There is also a possibility that there was a problem transferring the file that was causing the job to fail and restart multiple times but that is the least likely of the possible reasons.

If the file was never backed up then you would want to open a support case to investigate further.

Dynamic mode merely watches the volume where the source data resides for files that change that are in the backup selection list.

If the path being displayed is not changing during sync then perhaps it is transferring a single large file. If that is not the case then it is most likely a timing condition based on the information the CPS Agent on the source is sending to the CPS target and being displayed in the CMS console coming in via slow link. If you run a similar test on systems that are not connected via slow link it's unlikely you will see the same behavior.

Roger_Sager
Level 4
Thanks for the explanation Perry...

Yes I have run many tests. In the monitor pair screen I see the Run Status = "Running" and the Run Stage = "Dynamic". Under that there is another box that only shows the transfer rate. It doesn't show the path and which file is being transferred (like when the CPS is sync'ing). If it indicated the file currently being processed (as the transfer rate is > zero), then I would know exactly what's happening....this may be an enhancement request...

The ppt file was 7MB, but it took a long time to finally appear in the correct target server backup destination directory. Especially with a bandwidth setting of 25% of 512 kbps. We only have 256Kbps bandwidth to these remote servers here in Australia...not like the T1 T2 lines in the USA....unfortunately.

Cheers...Roger