cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11d - When a backup job fails it will end instead of moving onto the next server or partition

Tubthumper
Level 3

I have an issue that I havent seen before with BackUp Exec 11d.  The issue is that I have a backup job that backups several servers one after another.  Usually when BackUp Exec runs into an issue with a particular server it will fail but will at least move onto the next server in the list.  However with this particular client it does not it fails completely and shows that it has only run for 10 seconds.

I thought it could be the backup job but I have recreated this.  I also just patched 11d to SP3

Last night it failed with

V-79-57344-3844 - The media server was unable to connect to the Remote Agent on machine ********

This is because the server was offline.  However BUE should have moved on and backed up the other servers.

Has anyone seen this before?  Know why this is happening?  Do you think it would be an idea to re-push the remote agent out again to all the servers?

2 REPLIES 2

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6

I would reinstall one agent, check the version, then make sure you have the save most-up-to-date version on all your servers. That said, there is a good chance that it may not resolve the problem. This can happen for any number of reasons: network hardware or software hiccups on the remote server, sometimes requiring a reboot.

When I encounter this issue repeatedly, frankly, I just create a separate job for each server (or smaller groups when there are a lot of them) and kick them off one minute apart (TOTALLY personal preference but I like this better than priorities for no valid technical reason). After the first one, they queue in the order I want them to run and have them append to the same tape. If one fails, none of the others are affected.

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6
By the way, you could also consider going into the jobs and reordering the "Resource Order".